PDA

View Full Version : Routine Play or Poor Play?

soda
06-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to give full ring HE a chance again. For the past 10 months, I had been playing shorthanded exclusively. Now that I'm in the 10 person tables again, I find myself overaggressive and calling too much.

This hand is a good place to start. Is the river an autocall or can I start folding these? How about the turn?

Please assume a typical opponent, I'm working on getting notes on everyone, but it takes time.

Thanks,

soda

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, Hero 3-bets, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.83 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.83 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Kd Js (straight, king high).
Hero shows Kh Kc (one pair, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins 12.83 BB. </font>

Ezcheeze
06-27-2004, 12:11 AM
You are getting 11.83 to 1 on your call. I would need a good read to fold my overpair.

-Ezcheeze

Josh W
06-27-2004, 04:42 AM
Soda -

This type of fold is what separates small winners from huge winners. The problem is, of course, folding here incorrectly turns winners into weak-tight losers. If your opponents know you fold KK here, then you have to call down, and it becomes imminently opponent-dependant.

When I don't know my opponents, my default play is to get to a showdown cheaply, and get to know them (by seeing their cards), so I'd likely call down here.

Assuming a reasonably opponent who respects me, I likely call the turn, and muck the river if I don't improve (note that I include the river pairing the board as 'improvement' is it likely counterfeits their T9, Q9, or QT).

More importantly...it says you are in "Los Angeles" on the left side of the screen. Is this true?

Good to see you back at 'em...

Josh

Nightwish
06-27-2004, 07:28 AM
You need to call this down at the Party 15 game against an unknown opponent.

soda
06-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Hey Josh,

I'm not in LA...

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Still in Buffalo, I am planning to come out in October though. I had thought about coming for the LA Poker Classic... but I'm not sure. I think that's in August?

With this hand, I'll just need to keep calling down for now. Especially with the turn flush card. I play too many tables to have that strong of a read right now. Thanks for the help.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

soda