PDA

View Full Version : Other Poker Movies...

JimSardonic
06-26-2004, 07:12 PM
In a thread above, someone made reference to being a "Poker Movie Slut"...

I own Rounders, and have heard of "The Big Blind" (...but I'm a bit put off by it's terrible trailer.) What other poker movies are there, that are worth a damn?

andyfox
06-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Some suggestions:

Older movies:

The Cincinnati Kid (theme song sung by Ray Charles): they play 5-card stud, so it's dated from that standpoint, but a good cast, including Edward G. Robinson, Steve McQueen, Kalr Malden, and Ann-Margeret.

A Big Hand for the Little Lady: very funny and very clever, with a great cast headed by Henry Fonda.

California Split: A lot more "realistic" than the above two, with George Segal and Eliot Gould. Directed by Robert Altman.

Two great poker scenes in other movies not about poker:

The Sting: Paul Newman vs. Robert Shaw

Cool Hand Luke: a great poker scene in which Luke (Paul Newman) earns his nickname

Both The Sting and Cool Hand Luke have the added advantage of being great movies.

bonanz
06-27-2004, 04:24 AM
The sting is such an awesome movie (so is cool hand luke).

I love the line: "what am i supposed to do?! say he cheated better than me?!"

or something like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sfer
06-27-2004, 03:16 PM
I love California Split. Clearly Altman knows firsthand about both poker and gambling. Too bad it's hard to find.

It's hard to imagine anyone making movies as consistently good as Altman in the 60s and 70s.

andyfox
06-27-2004, 05:18 PM
MASH and Nashville are classics indeed.

If you haven't seen Cookie's Fortune, try it. I really enjoyed it and if you like Altman, you should too. The Player was fun too.

sfer
06-28-2004, 04:44 AM
Yeah, all four are fantastic. My favorite is McCabe and Mrs. Miller. I love the tone, the Leonard Cohen music, the whole feel of it. And that kicks off with poker too.