PDA

View Full Version : Tournament 1 against Moneymaker

1800GAMBLER
06-26-2004, 06:55 PM
$600 rebuy live tournament in Dublin. 40 entered. 6 left; 5 get paid, 5th is $3k; structure is normal. Chris Moneymaker is the chip leader with, well, a lot. blinds are 150/300 you have T1.2k as does another player, everyone else has around T15k and aren't going to do anything stupid. Rebuy period is over. Devilfish is playing guitar and singing to us all.

Hand 1.

UTG+2 is the other short stack, Chris Monkeymaker is the SB and the BB is a local hero who plays too tight and strange. You have KJs, go.

Hand 2.

Folded to you in the SB with another T600 after the blinds, MP, has T1.5k. You have Q5s and you know moneymaker wont fold anything here. If you fold Q5s what's the min you play?

Hand 3.

UTG is the short stack but has T1.2k you have T1.2k also and QQ. Monkeymaker the massive stack is the button, too tight is the SB and average player is on the BB with T15k. Go? If you don't fold this what's the best hand you would?

So anyhow, i pushed the QQ and BB called blind, wee. Bubbled out against J6s. So i left in 6th and went home. I found out the next day that monkeymaker (after having everyone well covered) bust out 5th. He was playing well though. Fun times.

Diplomat
06-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Hand 1: My first instinct is to go all-in, but this cannot be correct. Out of position, considering the other small stack, considering that you are on the bubble, and the strength of your hand, this must be a fold.

Hand 2: If Moneymaker will call with A2C, I probably shove with Axs and any pair. The problem is that you will not be able to steal the blinds in any of your subsequent hands, and the other small stack will likely not do anything stupid before it's your blinds again. You really cannot fold and hope to put pressure on the other small stack, as he will be happy to see you eat the blinds again.

Hand 3: I'll assume you are somewhere in the middle and it was folded to you. I would be much more willing to fold many hands here, considering that the pressure is now back on the other small stack to come up with a hand. I'd fold many Ax hands, and small pairs here. The strongest hand I'd fold is probably 88.

Interesting hands, I'm somewhat shocked that no one else is interested in them.

-Diplomat

gergery
06-29-2004, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting hands, I'm somewhat shocked that no one else is interested in them.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very interested in them. But if he's playing with Devilfish in $1k buyin events, I have nothing of value to add. Keep posting tho, and maybe i'll get there!

-Greg

swimfan
06-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Take this for what it is, I'll take a stab...

Hand 1

Take Devilfish's guitar and smash it. Tell him to get a job. Then fold (I'm assuming you're UTG given no action stated). Seems too risky on the bubble and out of position. If I had this hand in the SB or button, I may push if folded to me.

Hand 2

Yeah I fold Q5s. If MM is not folding anything, the min I play here is Ax, KQ-KJ and any pp. I think my advice may be weak here, though. Interested as to what others say on this hand.

Hand 3

I'm guessing you're CO. I push with QQ. How long until blinds increase? With the 1200T UTG guy, the strongest hands I'd fold are AJ and worse, pp's of >=99 since I'd rather put pressure on UTG and hope to go against a hand with one over and under card.

SossMan
06-29-2004, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2.

Folded to you in the SB with another T600 after the blinds, MP, has T1.5k. You have Q5s and you know moneymaker wont fold anything here. If you fold Q5s what's the min you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif? It makes a difference since I would fold some junk like Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, but would push w/ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Hope this helps.

swimfan
06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
-

1800GAMBLER
06-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey re: hand 2. I played with Simon Trumper (UK pro - Late night Poker winner) the day after and he was in the same situation against me as i was in when against moneymaker. When he's looking at his hands if the first card is an ace, king or queen he pushes all in without looking at the next one, he was also freely talking about this at the table. It was only a small tournament though.

He saw a king against me and pushed and i called with A7s. We all saw his 2nd card at the same time which was a jack. My hand held up to knock him out.

swimfan
06-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Pretty cool stuff, must have been a great experience to play the "name" guys live. SS on the bubble with another SS along has got to be difficult to play. I can see the any K play, the Q is interesting though. His candor is interesting as well. Sorry to hear of your rough luck with the QQ hand, great job getting so far.

La Brujita
06-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I didn't read the other responses but:

1. Are you UTG? I probably push here but a very close decision. Tight BB makes the difference for me.

2. I play the Q-5s.

3. I play my QQ here.

Regards

1800GAMBLER
06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Looking back on hand 1 i think it's a pretty easy fold. When they call i'm at best a 60% to win which is a very close gamble. I want to avoid any close gambles and also give UTG+2 a chance to go out.

In the hand everyone at the table knew i was just trying to get my way into 5th and after sitting tight for a while i thought my stealing equity here was massive, so i tried a small bet max pressure more which also allows me to fold if raise, in other words, i did a crappy scared min raise, heh. Moneymaker set me in, i folded, he giggled and showed QQ. I asked MM later how he'd play KJs there and he said, 'all in or fold ... probably fold knowing what i held /images/graemlins/wink.gif'

Hand 2 i pushed and held up. As i thought MM didn't even look at this cards. I think i have to push anything that's roughly 60% against a random hand. Not 51 - 59% though since the possible chances the other short stack goes bust.

Hand 3. I like. If i had AK i think it's a very very tough decision then. When called my a random hand on the BB i'm probably only a 65% against a random hand and with the blinds approaching the other short stack very soon i think a very good arguement could be made for folding AK 66.

The tournament was a lot of fun. I played with a lot of the considered UK Pros when we were down to 4 tables. At my 2nd for last table i had 3 UK Pros (the late night poker crew) the irish champ, moneymaker and a women from london who runs her own £4k buy NL games.

Rick Nebiolo
06-29-2004, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$600 rebuy live tournament in Dublin. 40 entered. 6 left; 5 get paid, 5th is $3k; structure is normal. Chris Moneymaker is the chip leader with, well, a lot. blinds are 150/300 you have T1.2k as does another player, everyone else has around T15k and aren't going to do anything stupid. Rebuy period is over. Devilfish is playing guitar and singing to us all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if Devilfish plays and sings as well as Tommy Angelo? You can check out Tommy's Songs here (http://www.imrunningbad.com/home.htm)

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1. - UTG+2 is the other short stack, Chris Monkeymaker is the SB and the BB is a local hero who plays too tight and strange. You have KJs, go.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have too few chips to easily slip into the money by waiting. I'd raise all in. Chris M. seems to make loose calls deep against deep but probably not in this spot. You want the blinds here and waiting takes about half your stack assuming you give up the blinds. Worse, if you wait you won't have blind stealing equity next round.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2. - Folded to you in the SB with another T600 after the blinds, MP, has T1.5k. You have Q5s and you know moneymaker wont fold anything here. If you fold Q5s what's the min you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't fold Q5s (but would fold Jx). Once again you need chips and won't have blind stealing equity after a fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 - UTG is the short stack but has T1.2k you have T1.2k also and QQ. Monkeymaker the massive stack is the button, too tight is the SB and average player is on the BB with T15k. Go? If you don't fold this what's the best hand you would?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all in. Someone will be attracting the other short stack next hand but for you to gain he has to commit and lose. I'd fold coin flip hands such as small pairs. You will be called here by the BB so avoiding a coin flip appears to be right. But QQ is way better than a coin flip.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
06-29-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking back on hand 1 i think it's a pretty easy fold. When they call i'm at best a 60% to win which is a very close gamble. I want to avoid any close gambles and also give UTG+2 a chance to go out.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they might fold so you are better than close. The other short stack player is using a similar strategy (I assume). You have a hand here. I think you need to make a move.

Interesting reading what you actually did.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 i pushed and held up. As i thought MM didn't even look at this cards. I think i have to push anything that's roughly 60% against a random hand. Not 51 - 59% though since the possible chances the other short stack goes bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 60/40 seems about right and I think this hand just makes it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3. I like. If i had AK i think it's a very very tough decision then. When called my a random hand on the BB i'm probably only a 65% against a random hand and with the blinds approaching the other short stack very soon i think a very good arguement could be made for folding AK 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the 66 fold but I'm moving in with AK and AQ.

~ Rick