PDA

View Full Version : Q about unorthodox limit structure

ChicagoTroy
06-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Harrah's EC has begun spreading a $3-6/12 game, which is set up the same way as standard 3-6 except that on the river you can bet in 6 or 12 dollar increments, but not in between and only in increasing amounts. E.g., on the river, a person might bet 6 and be raised twelve, but if he bets 12 he can't be raised 6 (but 12 would be OK, of course).

My initial impression is this makes draws a lot more valuable, and also allows you to induce bluffs or add deception with great hands by "only" betting $6 on the river. You also have to be a lot more disciplined in your folds on the river, since calling a $12 bet or raise becomes twice as big a mistake. What am I missing? This is a lower limit than I normally play but I'm interested in the concept.

mosch
06-26-2004, 06:14 PM
The big river bet makes many drawing hands much more playable. Additionally, it encourages slowplay on the turn, since the big money street is yet to come. Bluff-raising the river becomes a little more popular in this structure.

This structure will also make many common flish plays significantly more correct, so be sure to adjust your game accordingly, and watch out for flushes from the 'any two suited' crowd.