PDA

View Full Version : "Odds to call"

edge
06-26-2004, 02:15 PM
I've heard a few people talk about calling shortstack all-ins when holding pure trash, because of the odds to win (usually at least 40%). But is it still a good idea to call if you're, say, the third stack, with four left, you have 1500, the shortstack has 500 (blinds 100/200, let's say)? Sure, if you look down at your cards and see 87o, and the shortstack pushes from the small blind, you have the odds to call it, but if you lose, you're now tied for fourth (and eating the SB next hand).

My question is this: are the odds to call the only thing that should affect the decision? I've been knocked out in fourth quite a few times calling shortstack all-ins with nothing when I'm not the chip leader, and it crippled my stack. I just feel that saving my chips is more important than winning the chips of others. Is this a flaw in my reasoning?

Frogger
06-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Again, It depends on the aggression of everyone at the table.

I'd consider what would happen if I ddin't call and how many more chips that would give him. If you called and won, you make in into the money with a good chance of winning. You have to remember that.

tubbyspencer
06-26-2004, 03:41 PM
I think that unless you're the biggest stack, you shouldn't be calling with trash just because a short stack may be panicking. This is doubly true if losing will take you from second out of four, to fourth out of four.