PDA

View Full Version : How do you like my seat?

Barry
06-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Angel Fish and I hadn’t been to Foxwoods for a while, so we dropped Angel Guppy off at a friends and headed on down last Wed and Thurs.

As I was waiting to get in the 20/40 game, they called open seating in the baby NL, so decided to sit down and watch the future WPT stars in action. I sit down and the action is on the flop and comes to one of the kids. There are 4 players and $8 in the pot. He’s got about $30 in front of him. He takes 2 red chips of his stack, puts them on the felt and shuffles, yes shuffles them. He then flips 1 than the other one over, counts out 2 stacks of 1. This goes on for over 30 seconds when the dealer finally says “your action, sir”. Kid snarls at the dealer and says “I know”, plays with his chips some more and after nearly an eternity says “check”. I decide to get up as I came to play poker, not get the Chinese Water Torture.

So they call my name and I wind up sitting in on of the worst rock garden 20/40’s ever. It makes the daytime 20/40’s at the Mirage seem crazy. We have 4 chops in a row, then the next few hands, someone raises and everybody folds. The dealer has nearly forgotten how to put out the flop and I’m stuck 2 racks.

The good news is that there is another main game going, however it looks only a little better. I ask the floor for a table change and realize that I’m the 5th one at my table to ask for a table change. There is also a must move game going, and I see that it has a few live ones in it. One of the resident bad beat story tellers comes over and tells me how a maniac is straddling every orbit and cracked his AA with J6o. Hmmm….. I guess I’ll wait for the must move folks to come to our table

Finally 1 of the rocks gets up and goes home and 1 gets moved to the other main game. So I’m in the 7 seat and the 2 and 3 are open. 2 folks sit down and start playing nearly every hand. I’m feeling a bit better now. Then a few minutes later the 8 seat opens up. Before I realize it, said maniac takes the 8 seat. Also in the 9 seat is one of the best players in the room; however he is also stuck 2 racks. My 1st reaction is that I screwed up and should have moved to the 8 seat. I used to hate having someone always straddling my BB, but for some reason, I didn’t that day. Maybe it was my time with Tommy.

Anyway, he sits down and immediately straddles and wins a big pot with 52o, he flops and rivers a deuce, next orbit he straddles again and wins with T2s making a flush on the river. Interestingly enough, he’s not like the typical “evil” maniac; he’s a very nice guy, very outgoing and played pro hoop for 2 years. He actually knows how to play, but he just has more fun being a maniac. We get talking about ex-wives, alimony payments, he meets Angel Fish and says “she can’t be YOUR wife” So we quickly have gone from an average pot of $50 to $500 and I’m happy, sort of. He has also started to put a few players a little on tilt.

I finally get AQo and raise, I smile and say to him, “come on, raise and protect my hand”. He folds, for maybe the 1st or 2nd time PF since he’s sat down and says “No, my Real Hand Light is flashing".

So I’m contemplating asking for a seat change. Thinking maniac to my left, excellent, but stuck player 2 to my left and the rest of the table ranges from rocks, to loose/ passive to mildly laggy. I decide that I want to stay right were I am.

What do you all think?

Barry
06-26-2004, 02:31 PM
The maniac is limping or raising light, and therefore the good player will raise and 3-bet light. Also since some of the others on the table are slightly on tilt and maybe even have some inkling what's going on will tend to enter raised pot with lesser hands.

I decided that I like my seat for a couple of reasons. Knowing that there is a raise or 2 coming from my left, I was able to avoid playing some marginal hands, that I might be if I was to act behind them.

My raises were actually getting a little more respect than normal in that the 2 to my left were not 3 betting me, but I was still getting decent action.

So I started mixing up my play, occasionally limping with some raising hands and vice versa. I also got to checkraise the field a few times; I even caught a few good rivers. As you can imagine, there were no small pots.

So from being down 2 racks I was up 2 racks by the time he left.

I think that I had a good seat; but was I just experiencing the big positive variance from these "wild" games?