PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review: WiseGuys on Texas Hold'em

Syntax
06-26-2004, 08:54 AM
WiseGuys On Texas Hold'Em (1)

Starring: Robert Varkonyi (2002 WSOP Winner)
Vincent Pastore (Big Pussy on Sopranos)
Willie Garson (Gay guy on Sex & City, WTF?!)

2 Disc DVD Set: Beginners Guide and Advanced Strategies

Run Time: Approx 1 hour each DVD

Cost: $19.95

I really wasn't expecting much from this DVD. I just picked it up for entertainment value and figured how bad can it be? Really f%#!*ing bad is what I learned.

The content of these DVD's center around a bunch of "gangsters" playing a game of 2/4 Holdem (hole cards shown WPT style) while Varkonyi and some other dude comment on the hands and how they are being played. Doesnt sound too bad, kind of a neat concept right? No.

Each hand is introduced by some "category" such as:
"A hand where the lead changes three times during play" Wtf is that supposed to teach you? During this hand there is a set, someone else has AA and then the turn gives someone else trips, and the river makes someone else a straight flush. In fact, almost every example hand features one or two pocket pairs preflop and a set on almost every flop. It gets worse.

Here is a sample of the "General Tips": "When you love your hand, and you're confident that it's a likely winner, then bet or raise. When you like your hand, but you're not sure if it's a winner then check. If somebody makes a bet, then you may choose to call.

The acting is horrendus. The cut scenes are cheesy enough to make you feel bad for the actors. Why the hell is the gay guy there, didnt any of the producers see Celebrity Poker Challenge?"

This set has little to no value for a beginner. Absolutely no value for anyone with a day's experience playing poker. And no value for any self respecting Sopranos fan's.

I would not recommend this video.