PDA

View Full Version : fast food you piglets

Ray Zee
06-26-2004, 12:53 AM
hey i like that crap as much as anyone. i just dont eat it hardly ever anymore. it is literally poison for your body. high fat made with the cheapest and worst ingredients around. they add what ever they can legally to make it taste good and addictive. when you are young and invincible everything seems not to matter. later on you regret what you did to yourself and will for sure say you wouldnt have done it if you had known. now i know better late than never. and so do you.

Dynasty
06-26-2004, 01:15 AM
You're making yourself sound old. Soon, you'll sound like Andy Fox. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
06-26-2004, 02:18 AM
So here I am minding my own business, when all of a sudden . . . /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dynasty eats crap most of the time.

eLROY
06-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Ray, no "ingredient" is worse for your body than bacteria. And a burger at Burger King is more sterile than any sandwich from any deli, and more sterile than anything that has been in your refrigerator for 6 hours.

And the cheapest ingredients also happen to be some of the simplest ingredients, meaning food that is the friendliest to people with food allergies. Burger King is the least common denominator: the safest, cleanest food for the most people, despite some hippie/utopia/aesthetic hallucination of yours involving brightly-colored fruit.

Ground flesh, a piece of bread, a leaf of lettuce? That's what people have been eating for thousands of years! Sliced fried potatoes? That's what people on this side of the Atlantic ocean have been eating for thousands of years. "Ingredients?" What, are you going to Burger King to buy a cake?

Exactly how much money do you want them to spend on the ingredients in a hamburger bun? Should there be organic mango extract in there or something?

Sometimes I go for days in a row eating nothing but Burger King.

superleeds
06-26-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ray, no "ingredient" is worse for your body than bacteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would die without bacteria in your body

eLROY
06-26-2004, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ray, no "ingredient" is worse for your body than bacteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would die without bacteria in your body

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my God aren't you a genius. Let's see, in our little five-node neural network that is your brain, is it possible decide whether anthrax is bad? Oh, but wait, bacteria is good! I'm such a contrarian!

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Subway has some healthy sandwiches on multigrain bread. It is doubtful that bacterial listeria cases are prevalent from eating Subway food or we would have heard about it.

As for BK and McD's:

*high fat burgers = bad

*fries boiled in lard = bad

*mayo = bad

*white processed flour = the least nutritious kind, plus slow passage through intestines due to lack of roughage allows crap to ferment longer in your guts in contact with the intestinal walls which increases your chances of colon cancer

*char-broiled meats and fried oils (except for monosaturated oils like olive oil) are some of the very worst causes of dietary free radicals which in turn damage your cells themselves and cause premature aging

So either get smart and eat at Subway, or but Met-Rx 16 oz. ready-to-drink cans and get better nutrition and feel better for less than it costs to eat at BK.

Or just go on eating frequently at burger joints. When you get heart disease or colon cancer around the age of 50 don't say Ray Zee and M didn't warn you. If you just eat there once in a while your body can handle the junk but a regular diet of it will kill you.

Rushmore
06-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Actually, any dietician will tell you that eating a Double Whopper and large fries is a literally moronic thing to do. It tastes great, sure. This is because they have infused the food with the things that a body craves: FAT AND SALT.

Just because your body craves it, doesn't mean it should be consumed in the amounts suggested by these companies as acceptable.

Some of the worst offenders are these TGI McGillicuddy places that have a bacon double cheeseburger on the menu. They contain literally three times the amount of fat and salt recommended for YOUR ENTIRE DAY.

Although I can appreciate your point, I think it's a little off here.

Next you'll be telling us that those Seven Dwarves weren't lying to Congress.

It's all the same.

Rushmore
06-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Beautiful, M. Perfect. Hopefully someone will heed this advice.

I actually think it's even more important than people give it credit for. You may save a life if you keep up this kind of talk.

eLROY
06-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Raw meat would be healhier than cooked meat, contingent on the assumption that it is bacteria free. And I don't just mean listeria. There are millions of random varieties of bacteria that are known to damage cells and cause cancer. So far as salt, even when not used to kill bacteria, it still isn't bad. Fat is also a good thing, it is what enabled the human brain to grow bigger, which in turn enabled it to discover new tricks to procure fat. So far as "charbroiled," Burger King burgers have a few faint lines on them, they are probably seared less than a chicken breast cooked on your own stove in olive oil.

Now why is mayo bad? And what do you know about the flour in Burger King buns? So far as I can tell, it is much healthier than the gluten powder in cake mix, for example.

So far as cigarettes and Subway, don't you think there are some people who have tried Subway, and it disagrees with them? It can't be healthy to feel nauseous, or to be crapping rotted shredded lettuce all over the place. Subway pre-sliced meat is dank and slimy. There are reasons why people are repulsed by skanky meat, or why they have evolved habits of coating it in salt and pepper and cilantro, and smoking and drying it, and such. Cold, wet, over-handled meat runs contrary to the entire human experience. Take that away, and all you are left with at Subway is a bunch of soggy worthless vegetable fiber, and a lump of grain. Some people are not designed to thrive on grain, it even makes some of them sick.

scalf
06-26-2004, 12:45 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif autopsies on young soldiers killed in viet nam showed significant formations of artery blocking formations, including arteriosclerosis...at age 19...mcdonalds was just getting going then...it's a death trap, a suicide rap; ya gotta get out young..

cause baby; tramps like us were born to run..

gl

eat good look good play good..

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

scalf
06-26-2004, 12:48 PM
..is already indocrinated; as we like to let her play at the mcdonalds playland...at 2.5 y.o. she already says "let's go to mcdonalds"

pretty slick marketing , huh, or pretty sloppy parenting..

gl /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

HDPM
06-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Try this, "Sorry honey, daddy lost all our money on the Thursday Thunder Super Guaranteed Mortal Lock of the Millenium, and we can't afford McDonald's right now. It's not my fault, get mad at that coach who didn't kick a field goal to cover at the end of the game. We hate him because now you don't get McDonald's. OK? Here's a carrot stick." /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

paland
06-26-2004, 01:56 PM
The biggest killer in the US today is diabetes. It is also the number one cause of blindness. Diabetes is now an epidemic. One of the main causes of diabetes is carbohydrates, especially the useless kind (sugar, white flour) and consuming carbohydrates when not burning them off with exersize. Carbs are the one thing that sends my blood sugar through the roof.

For several hundred thousand years, hominids ate mostly fat and protien. Then agriculture came and grains were grown in abundance. The body was not built for this new dietary source. Granted that it can be healthy if eaten right (not processed flour) and you exercise the carbs off, but fast food carbs and sitting around is a grreat combination for diabetes.

Noo Yawk
06-26-2004, 02:14 PM
There are healthy ways to live and Unhealthy ways.

Eating in moderation and exercising regularly are Healthy.

Dropping sliced up potatos in day old oil and frying out all the nutritional value, then dumping about 100x the human needed daily salt intake on them for more flavoring, while washing them down with a pound of sugar mixed with some bubbles and carmel color, well thats not healthy.
Eat this type of food several times a week, and do no excercise at all, get a lawyer and blame McDonalds. After all, we are not to blame for our own gluttony and sloth. And of course, we are manipulated by the media into believing fast foods are healthy because it certainly isn't common freaking sense that this type of lifstyle and eating habbits could ever possibly be bad for you. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 03:46 PM
"Raw meat would be healhier than cooked meat, contingent on the assumption that it is bacteria free."

And parasite free too, of course.

"And I don't just mean listeria. There are millions of random varieties of bacteria that are known to damage cells and cause cancer."

Fair point.

" So far as salt, even when not used to kill bacteria, it still isn't bad."

Dietary sodium is necessary but way too much is bad for you. Highly excessive salt can adversely affect the blood pressure and the cardiovascular syatem. The typical American gets much more salt than is required from a dietary standpoint and way more than is required to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance. I would guess that most Americans not only consume too much dietary sodium but also might consume less than the optimal amount of potassium, the other major element necessary for a good electrolyte balance. Excessive salt is especially found in processed or pre-packaged foods.

"Fat is also a good thing, it is what enabled the human brain to grow bigger, which in turn enabled it to discover new tricks to procure fat."

Dietary fat is an absolute necessity but fat types matter a great deal. The healthiest to worst are as follows:

1) Olive oil (extra virgin is best) and fish oils high in Omega-3 fatty acids. It may be wise to eat fish somewhat sparingly nowadays due to heavy metal contaminants. Still, some Omega-3 fish oil is absolutely great for your heart and arteries. Red salmon is among the very best sources for the beneficial fish oils but you should buy ocean-fished salmon than farm-raised salmon as bacteria levels are typically mugh higher in farm-raised salmon.

2) Polyunsaturated fats such as safflower oil (which are better than saturated fats but should still not be used for high heat cooking).

3) Saturated fats such as animal fat and dairy fat. These are not heart-friendly especially if consumed frequently, and Atkins is simply wrong if he asserts they can be eaten with impunity. He is right however that a lot of simple carbs such as pasta (refined flour) and sugar will help boost your cholesterol levels, though. He is also right that such simple carbs are bad for your pancreas and related systems and encourage the onset of diabetes or pre-diabetes. But just because simple carbs adversely affect your cholesterol levels does not mean that saturated fats don't also, or that they are good for your heart. The brain does require cholesterol to function properly but all the cholesterol one needs is produced internally by the body itself.

4) Trans-fats, such as hydrogenated vegetable oil (found in many prepared products such as major brand peanut butter--the companies add it to make the consistency creamy and smooth). These are the very worst fats for you.

"So far as "charbroiled," Burger King burgers have a few faint lines on them, they are probably seared less than a chicken breast cooked on your own stove in olive oil."

OK I agree the amount of charbroiling on a BK burger is not not very heavy but it is somewhat undesirable even so. Stews or soups in a Crock-pot, or microwaved chicken breast (if you like it that way) will enable you to avoid charbroiling except on special occasions. I woudn't blame you if you don't like microwaved chicken or meats though, so I heartily recommend the Crock-Pot which enables you to make all sorts of healthy stews and soups with a minimum of fuss. It will even cook for you while you go out.

"Now why is mayo bad?"

Because it is high in saturated fats. I don't keep mayo in the house but I'll bet it also has processed sugar in it.

"And what do you know about the flour in Burger King buns? So far as I can tell, it is much healthier than the gluten powder in cake mix, for example."

It is highly refined flour like most all white flours, which are typically processed by first removing the most nutritious parts of the grain along with most of the roughage, then injected with vitamins to try to regain some of what was lost in the processing. Flour thus raped then reprocessed is sometimes referred to as "fortified" or "enriched" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. BK flour may indeed be healthier than the gluten powder in cake mix or pancake mix but that isn't saying much.

So far as cigarettes and Subway, don't you think there are some people who have tried Subway, and it disagrees with them? It can't be healthy to feel nauseous, or to be crapping rotted shredded lettuce all over the place. Subway pre-sliced meat is dank and slimy. There are reasons why people are repulsed by skanky meat, or why they have evolved habits of coating it in salt and pepper and cilantro, and smoking and drying it, and such. Cold, wet, over-handled meat runs contrary to the entire human experience. Take that away, and all you are left with at Subway is a bunch of soggy worthless vegetable fiber, and a lump of grain. Some people are not designed to thrive on grain, it even makes some of them sick."

Subways are individually owned franchises and it sounds like the Subways in your area might be under par. I have always liked their heart-healthy selections on wheat or multi-grain bread. If the Subways you have visited are as bad as you describe I don't blame you for avoiding them.

Actually, some of the points you raise are also points that can be used to make the case for eating less meat or fowl overall or even going vegetarian. By the way if you combine any legumes (such as beans or chickpeas) with dairy (preferably skim dairy) you get a complete protein by virtue of the complementary amino acids. Dairy though should be comsumed fairly moderately if at all though because even skim dairy has hormones or antibotics and junk in it now from how the cows are raised. So standard fare animal protein is not absolutely necessary for a healthy diet--especially nowadays when you can pop into the local GNC and pick up things like pure whey protein or Met-Rx.

The Met-Rx ready-to-drink 16 oz. cans are great. The formula of Met-Rx is vastly superior from a dietary health standpoint to Ensure, which is frequently sold in drugstores and given to hospital patients. Met-Rx RTD 40's actually taste good too and come in a variety of flavors.

All in all, it really won't hurt you to eat processed junk once in a while--but eating it as a staple will greatly increase your chances of things like heart disease, diabetes and colon cancer. You can think of it like this: it's sort of like having a couple of cigars or joints per week won't hurt you too much but smoking 2-3 packs a day might very well kill you or at least make you miserable in your later years. Likewise one beer or glass of wine a day won't hurt you much (and a little is even good for your cholesterol levels), but a six-pack or more a day and you will end up with harmful health effects from it.

Phat Mack
06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
4) Trans-fats, such as hydrogenated vegetable oil

What are the pros and cons of using butter instead of margerine or other "spreads" (which seem to be hydrogenated veg oil)?

Jim Kuhn
06-26-2004, 06:05 PM
FAST FOOD!!! You have really crossed the limits now! Shouldn't you be chasing Elk or something?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

FeliciaLee
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Wow! I haven't been to the Other Topics section in quite some time.

I am surprised to see that some people are also drinking protein shakes. I wonder how many of us are using them now.

Also, some others have diabetes, a well. I also wonder how many of us here have diabetes.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 07:35 PM
"What are the pros and cons of using butter instead of margerine or other "spreads" (which seem to be hydrogenated veg oil)?"

First a brief synopsis: After the bad news about cholesterol first came out decades ago, people soon came to think margarine was better. Later it was thought that cholesterol wasn't as bad as it was first considered. More emphasis was then put on the ratio of high-density lipoproteins to low-density lipoproteins (LDL is considered to be the "bad" cholesterol). Theory in this area continues to evolve but at least it is agreed that HDL is much better for you than LDL (some more recent questions revolve around things like whether HDL really does as much "cleanup" work in your arteries as it has been supposed to do, and the significance of "total" cholesterol levels as opposed to HDL/LDL ratios and levels).

More recently it has been acknowledged that "trans-fats" are pretty much the worst of all. So butter may not be worse for you after all than some margarines. However there may now be some "trans-fat-free" margarines on the market (I don't use the stuff so you will have to check the labels next time you are at the supermarket. There are some products being labeled "trans fat free" although I don't know if margarine is one of them. There is also some new fat substitute of which I forget the name and which causes stomach upset in some people).

Your best bet may be to spread lightly;-) and eat more olive oil instead of more traditionally "American" oils or fats.

Disclaimer: I am not a health care professional, and the above information is from memory, gleaned from lots of reading over the years since these topics have long been of interest to me. I am pretty sure that the information is reasonably accurate or that at least it is not significantly off as to recommendations. I might have slipped up slightly somewhere from a technical standpoint but I have confidence in which foods are better or worse for you and the basic underlying reasons.

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 07:54 PM
"Diabetes is now an epidemic. One of the main causes of diabetes is carbohydrates, especially the useless kind (sugar, white flour) and consuming carbohydrates when not burning them off with exersize. Carbs are the one thing that sends my blood sugar through the roof."

Simple carbs such as refined flour and refined sugar are indeed bad.

"For several hundred thousand years, hominids ate mostly fat and protien."

Actually, hominids ate mainly protein, fat and vegetables (and fruits). Atkins leaves out the veggie part in his "history lesson" because it doesn't jibed hat well with his overall approach.

"Then agriculture came and grains were grown in abundance. The body was not built for this new dietary source. Granted that it can be healthy if eaten right (not processed flour) and you exercise the carbs off, but fast food carbs and sitting around is a grreat combination for diabetes."

There is a significant difference between refined grains and whole grains, including how your body metabolizes them. Agreed too that fast food is just bad for you overall and that a sedentary fast food lifestyle points towards diabetes in many.

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Just to expound a bit against Atkins' assertion that the human body is designed primarily for fats and proteins: let's compare the typical body design of carnivores vs. herbivores and see which we look most like.

Carnivorous mammals typically have:

* lots of canine teeth and no molar teeth

* small roundish stomachs

* short intestinal tracts

Herbivorous mammals typically have:

* molars but no canine teeth

* elongated stomachs or even multiple stomachs

* long convoluted intestinal tracts

Ok, now, humans have:

* 4 canine teeth and 12 molars

* elongated stomachs

* long convoluted intestinal tracts

From this it would appear that we are designed more for eating plant matter than for eating meat.

What do chimpanzees, our closest cousins of the present day, eat? Mostly plant matter with some meat thrown in on occasion. It would seem this is what we are designed to eat, too.

Atkins is right however that our bodies are not designed to effectively process loads of refined carbs or processed sugars on a regular basis. A simple way of looking at it is: simple carbs = bad, complex carbs = good. Veggies and whole grains tend mostly to be complex carbs. Refined flour and refined sugar products, and some fruit sugars, tend to be simple carbs. However not all fruit sugars (unrefined) are as bad as other simple carbs.

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Even people who aren't diabetic should take heed. Many of the foods which are bad for diabetics aren't good for non-diabetics either. Also, a bad diet and/or lifestyle can cause or hasten the onset of diabetes in many who would not get it otherwise.

ACPlayer
06-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey watch it buster, you are talking about one of America's great exports to the world (along with coca cola and cigarettes).

For further insights into all hamburger products in America (including those at your local Kroger, Giant Eagle, Stop n Shop etc) read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

I am off to have some freshly made Pho Bo.

ACPlayer
06-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Now why is mayo bad?"
Because it is high in saturated fats. I don't keep mayo in the house but I'll bet it also has processed sugar

Actually Mayonnaise (specially if you make your own) is not bad and is not high in saturated fats -- it does have fat so use sparingly. The ingredients are oil (choose your own), eggs, and lemon juice. Nobody sells it like this because of shelf life problems, so make you own, it is quite simple.

Miracle whip on the other hand may have anything at all in it.

MMMMMM
06-26-2004, 11:18 PM
"Actually Mayonnaise (specially if you make your own) is not bad and is not high in saturated fats -- it does have fat so use sparingly. The ingredients are oil (choose your own), eggs, and lemon juice. Nobody sells it like this because of shelf life problems, so make you own, it is quite simple."

For once, ACPlayer, it seems you are right and I am wrong;-)

A tablespoon of real mayonnaise has 2 grams of saturated fat and 10 or more grams of unsaturated fat. Still, it is high in calories, and the cholesterol is not good if your diet is already too high in cholesterol (as are the diets of most Americans).

06-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Whuss up with all these recent posts bashing "fast food?"
It's like you've become a born-again christian. Except it's our colon you're interested in saving.

iL douché

...and the Lord saidith unto Abraham, "pass thy chips you friggin' Bogart."

Nepa
06-27-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now why is mayo bad?"
Because it is high in saturated fats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I switch to Mustard. Low/No calarie

ArchAngel71857
06-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Some of the worst offenders are these TGI McGillicuddy places