PDA

View Full Version : HPFAP review & questions. Part I.

06-25-2004, 10:23 PM
I’ve just begun my second reading of “Hold’em Poker For Advanced Players” written by SKLANSKY & MALMUTH. I find I’m learning so much more on this second reading, as I have more live gaming experience in which these techniques can be more easily filtered into my overall game.
I’m going to post little questions regarding the text as I go along through the chapters. Others feel free to post your own thoughts on certain parts of the text too as they apply.

PART I: THE FIRST TWO CARDS

In reading the chapter “The First Two Cards: Early Position”, S&M fail to discuss playing K-Qo (group 4) and A-Jo (group 4). How are you playing these two hands, based on a typical, tough, loose-passive, loose-aggressive game?

Loose-aggressive – I think it’s an easy fold here.

Loose-passive – I've been raising with A-Jo and really have no idea what to do with K-Qo. Thoughts?

Tough and/or Typical – I’ve been raising with these hands, but if I miss the flop I find them terribly difficult to play out of position. However, overall, I’ve experienced a +EV with both hands from the first three positions, but I do not have near a large enough sample size within Poker Tracker (~3000 hands) to be able to rely on this statistic with any degree of certainty.

The next type of hand in which S&M make very little reference too are K-Ts (group 4), Q-Ts (group 4), T-9s (group 4) J-Ts (group 3).

Loose-Aggro – K-Ts and Q-Ts, easy folds? J-Ts and T-9s becomes playable by limping?

Loose-passive – All four hands definitely limpable?

Tough and/or Typical – All four hands unplayable, for fear of it getting raised behind?

And finally, for this chapter, T-T, 9-9, 8-8.

Loose-Aggro – No idea here.

Loose-passive – No idea here.

Tough and/or Typical – Raising.

Thoughts on the observation of these 9 hands?

Thanks all,

06-26-2004, 11:36 AM
anyone? It cannot be that complex.