PDA

View Full Version : David Williams article in CardPlayer

J_V
06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
I've often thought about how I would handle those types of interviews if I ever was fortunate enough to be in that position.

If I could handle myself a fraction as well as David Williams did in that article, I would be very pleased.

How can you not root for that guy? Not only was he composed and modest, but he said some very astute things. I hope he continues to do well. It looks like poker had two class acts finish 1-2.

La Brujita
06-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Very very interesting article. I will be rooting for him in the future. He really seems like a good guy.

Tosh
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I maybe wrong but I think he's a good friend of Gotmilk. Of course thats probably irrelevant even if true but I thought I'd throw it out there all the same.

GoblinMason (Craig)
06-26-2004, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He really seems like a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is indeed. I had the chance to play him in a Magic: the Gathering PTQ (he is/was also a mtg pro, but I don't know if he will be considering a PT win is a piddly $30000.) and he was definitely more pleasant than most magic players. Somehow, I managed to beat him (even though he's obviously far better than I) and he was very sportsmanlike even asking me later how it was going.

Definitley an asset to the game of poker.

astroglide
06-26-2004, 02:54 AM
i'll cross-reply. he was banned from the touring large cash prize "magic: the gathering" tournament circuit for cheating. that is an easy reason to not root for him.

Cptkernow
06-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Any one who purposefully sets out to cheat at Magic the Gathering of the nerds is allready a hero in my eyes.

BeerMoney
06-26-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any one who purposefully sets out to cheat at Magic the Gathering of the nerds is allready a hero in my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was just too funny.

Easy E
06-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm a little afraid of going back: What if I don't win the next tournament or make the final table right away, what are people going to think? But I know I just need to play to get that out of my system."

<font color=" blue"> Williams has been influenced by a number of star players in his short poker career (most of his experience comes from money games), and he has adopted some of their wisdom. "I've become friends with Erick Lindgren lately, and he told me that you just have to get back out there and play again, that you can't always win and people know that, but you can't let fear of having set the bar so high for yourself that you can't live up to it keep you from trying." </font>

You just beat 2570+ people, won $3.5 million and you're AFRAID WHAT PEOPLE WILL THINK OR HOW YOU'LL DO NEXT TIME??!?!?

Someone PLEASE tell me this was messed up in the interview report somehow...

fnurt
06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think his point was that he needs to win another tournament to pay the rent. I took it to mean that when you have a big win, you're under the microscope, and if you have a couple bad results, a lot of people will think that you're just a fish who got lucky one time.

Maybe your point is that when you have the money, who cares what people think of you. Maybe it's even better if they think you're a fish, because it will be easier for you to get a game. But I think it's natural for human beings to want respect, and so I understand where he's coming from.

J_V
06-28-2004, 06:14 PM
I would absolutely have this fear. Especially when you become known on a national stage by people who don't understand how much luck is involved in tournament poker.

I thought this comment helped make the article.

J_V
06-28-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
took it to mean that when you have a big win, you're under the microscope, and if you have a couple bad results, a lot of people will think that you're just a fish who got lucky one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, how could it be taken any other way. I want respect in the poker world, the same as I do when I step out on to the basketball court and I don't care if I make slightly less money because of it.

Michael Davis
06-28-2004, 09:13 PM
"Especially when you become known on a national stage by people who don't understand how much luck is involved in tournament poker."

So it's a justifiable fear, because the suspicions of others could be true.

That is, of course some players who win big tournaments and then have a few subpar results afterwards are actually good players. But there are a lot of others who are average players and really did just get lucky.

-Michael

3rdEye
06-29-2004, 01:19 AM
I read that article, and was also impressed by Williams. First of all, he has a degree in economics (like me), so bonus points for him right there. On top of that, he seems like a very down to earth and good guy, and his play on the final hand in retrospect now seems at least justifiable (albeit certainly questionable).

eastbay
06-29-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little afraid of going back: What if I don't win the next tournament or make the final table right away, what are people going to think? But I know I just need to play to get that out of my system."

<font color=" blue"> Williams has been influenced by a number of star players in his short poker career (most of his experience comes from money games), and he has adopted some of their wisdom. "I've become friends with Erick Lindgren lately, and he told me that you just have to get back out there and play again, that you can't always win and people know that, but you can't let fear of having set the bar so high for yourself that you can't live up to it keep you from trying." </font>

You just beat 2570+ people, won $3.5 million and you're AFRAID WHAT PEOPLE WILL THINK OR HOW YOU'LL DO NEXT TIME??!?!?

Someone PLEASE tell me this was messed up in the interview report somehow...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any trouble at all understanding that.

How many have gone out of their way to slam Moneymaker as a lucky fish. How many of the same people harped on his every loss since as proof of that? He doesn't want those doubts to creep in to take away the glow of the win. What's hard to understand about that?

eastbay

Easy E
06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
But I think it's natural for human beings to want respect, and so I understand where he's coming from.

It's not that I don't understand it, I just reject it as mamby-pamby. Letting others' silly judgements of you affect you is something you shouldn't be doing, ESPECIALLY in poker IMO (to be taken advantage of, yes- to affect you, no)

But he's young.

Easy E
06-29-2004, 04:11 PM
"I'd rather be lucky than good" work for me, ESPECIALLY for 7 figure payouts

Easy E
06-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Especially when you become known on a national stage by people who don't understand how much luck is involved in tournament poker."

who CARES about them!

So it's a justifiable fear, because the suspicions of others could be true.

No, it's not justifiable- again, who cares about the suspicions of others?

That is, of course some players who win big tournaments and then have a few subpar results afterwards are actually good players. But there are a lot of others who are average players and <font color="blue"> really did just get lucky. </font>

IF someone can point to a WSOP winner from ANY year who wasn't very lucky more than once during their run (they were NEVER behind at any stage, they never flopped a big hand when someone else flopped one almost as good, yada yada), I'll eat my bonnet. I'll even let you pick the condiment.

I hope to take 2nd place one day and, cradling my $7.5 million "almost winner" check, have people call me a lucky bitch all day and night. I'm just gonna smile and smile...