PDA

View Full Version : Bubble hand - QJo in BB

Wingnut
06-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Button had been moving his whole stack in just to steal the blinds several times in the last 10 or so hands. I felt this was as good a hand as any to make a stand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2280)
Hero (t2420)
UTG (t850)
Button (t2450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t2450 (All-In)</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t2020 (All-In),

Flop: (t5070) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t5070) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t5070) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5070
<font color="green">Main Pot: t5040 (t5040), between Hero and Button.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t30 (t30), returned to Button.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Qc (one pair, sevens).
Button shows Kh Th (two pair, kings and sevens).
Outcome: Button wins t5070. </font>

My own thoughts in a seperate post.

Thanks,
-David

Wingnut
06-25-2004, 05:59 PM
After the hand, the winner of the pot chatted "wow he gave up his prizemoney". I'll admit that I didn't specifically notice the short stack, but I had also seen that same player come back from much lower to survive.

The blinds wouldn't have knocked out the short stack for at least 5 more hands, in which time anything can happen 4-handed. Was this wrong place/wrong time?

TheDrone
06-25-2004, 07:02 PM
QJo is not good enough to call the all-in here unless you are sure that he is pushing with trash (read: undercards). Otherwise you are a coinflip at best and a big underdog at worst. You still have enough opportunities to catch a good hand, steal, or just fold into the money.

NotMitch
06-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Why do you want to make a stand for all your chips with Queen high on the bubble?

hyde
06-25-2004, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't defend an all in with an Q, J
I might try to steal with it.....

but not on the bubble.....
while "anything can happen" you had a nice lead on UTG

hyde

Michael Davis
06-25-2004, 10:36 PM
It is more correct to push here with 72o than it is to call with QJo. It is really tough to counter this, and making a stand with QJ is taking it too far.

-Michael

Nepa
06-25-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is more correct to push here with 72o than it is to call with QJo. It is really tough to counter this, and making a stand with QJ is taking it too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree! Except I would wait and see what happens with the short stack first. Plenty of chips and Plenty of time.

triplc
06-25-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm sorry, but this is just an awful play, in my opinion. QJo is not a hand with which to "make a stand" against a maniac. Also, you are second in chips at this juncture. So what if he steals 200 of them. It's not like you need to double through to be in decent shape.

This is an easy fold...sorry to be so blunt.

Play well,

CCC

hop
06-26-2004, 12:25 AM
this call is way way way too loose. I think even calling with AQs here is debateable (see my AQ thread).

patrick dicaprio
06-26-2004, 09:15 AM
this is a terrible call IMO. why do you have to make a stand with this hand. all you need to do is be right once with a good hand and you will bust him. is QJo that hand?? i would like to have at least an A high hand even if A2 rather than QJ. you can be the aggressor after the button gets to you and you can steal your blinds right back. i think you were right that you want to make a stand eventually but why with QJo?

Pat

eastbay
06-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Sorry, but this is an idiotic call with Q high.

eastbay

stupidsucker
06-26-2004, 04:16 PM
yeah bad call. Let the man steal.