PDA

View Full Version : Best "Fast Food" - Chick-fil-A

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Chick-fil-A (http://www.chickfila.com/Home.asp) is so good that it shouldn't even be called fast food. Really, it's excellent food that just happens to be prepared really quickly.

Even Ray, if he were ever to try it, would admit that Chick-fil-A rules.

Sooga
06-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I haven't had Chick-Fil-A in a while (actually come to think of it I haven't even SEEN one in forever). But my vote when it comes to great food that just happens to be served quickly has to be El Pollo Loco, hands down.

JTrout
06-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Chick-fil-A. You pay too much. You can't get your order the way you want it, and you leave hungry.
And it's closed on Sundays.

Oski
06-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Much better than El Pollo Loco

Zankou Chicken (http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/11312939?cslink=search_name_noncust&ulink=search__ searchslot1_520__0_profile_2_1)

Sooga
06-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Hmm... never heard of that, but I'll go check it out!

HDPM
06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Yellow Chicken is way better than chick fil a. Chick fil a sucks IMO. And I hate their stupid closed on sunday bit. You don't want my business on sunday, fine. You don't get it on monday either. But comparing chicken restaurants is sort of ridiculous. It's chicken after all.

FWIW the best fast food chicken no longer exists. Jim Dandy spicy chicken was about as good as chicken can get.

mikeyvegas
06-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Maybe I'm completely off base here, but moving from the midwest and now living in Phoenix I find that In-N-Out Burger to have the Best fast food around.

I mean, they have their own secret menu for god's sake. Doesn't that cound for something?

http://www.dailynugget.com/000442.php

HDPM
06-25-2004, 06:22 PM
In N Out is excellent. Best fast food burger of a fairly big chain. We had a thread on this not long ago. But it is regional. If we could go regional, I prefer Chicago hot dog joints to In N Out, including for burgers.

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In-N-Out Burger to have the Best fast food around.

[/ QUOTE ]

In-n-Out is fine, but all the really smart people agree that it is wildly overrated.

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Chicago hot dog joints

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like that Portillo's and it always used to surprise me how packed they always are. They sure can move some quantity at that joint - what an assembly line!

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chick-fil-A. You pay too much. You can't get your order the way you want it, and you leave hungry.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way you want it? It's perfect, that's the point. Chick-fil-A sandwich meal. If you're hungrier than that, get an order of nuggets as well. If you don't want the pickles on the sandwich, you can either take them off yourself or have them do it for you.

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chick fil a sucks IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Well, at least you have decent taste in Scotch.

[ QUOTE ]
And I hate their stupid closed on sunday bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only valid criticism of Chick-fil-A.

Schneids
06-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Weak.

There's one of these places on campus and I've had it once. No plans to ever again. I didn't even realize this was a national chain.

mikeyvegas
06-25-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In-n-Out is fine, but all the really smart people agree that it is wildly overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, cause I've heard that all the really smart people agree that your posts are wildly overrated.

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're weak.

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, cause I've heard that all the really smart people agree that your posts are wildly overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooooh, burn.

mikeyvegas
06-25-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oooooooh, burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that wasn't very funny. Honestly, I beleive I am not qualified to post to this thread since I've never dined at Chick-fil-a. Can The Diablo recommend a specific item on their menu I should try?

Ulysses
06-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Mike,

Chick-fil-A has a handy site locator on their website. Looks like you can find one at Desert Sky Mall or the Metrocenter. There's also one at ASU and also some more in Mesa and Goodyear.

I recommend the basic Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich most of all. The nuggets are excellent as well. Slaw and waffle fries are good as well, but I often skip the fries. And they make some pretty good lemonade.

benfranklin
06-25-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW the best fast food chicken no longer exists. Jim Dandy spicy chicken was about as good as chicken can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best fast food chicken is Popeye's. Spicy, with red beans and rice.

benfranklin
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Chicago hot dog joints

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like that Portillo's and it always used to surprise me how packed they always are. They sure can move some quantity at that joint - what an assembly line!

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago hot dogs are greatly overrated IMHO. There could be anything in there under all those veggies and stuff, and you'd never taste the difference.

THE fast food spiritual experience in Chicago is Italian Beef, and Portillos is one of the best. Also Buena Beef.

HDPM
06-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Popeye's spicy with cajun rice, not red beans and rice is pretty good. Jim Dandy spicy with their rice was at least 4.876 times better than popeye's.

HDPM
06-25-2004, 11:38 PM
No way. You can taste the difference between a properly steamed vienna and every other hot dog instantly. Before the taste even hits you get the crunch of the natural intestine casing. Then the perfect taste of the dog. Nah, that's an easy one in a blind test.

I cannot argue with a beef sweet hot and wet.

BeerMoney
06-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Wendy's!!!

swimfan
06-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Wow, that's pretty good chicken. I was going to mention Popeye's as vastly superior to Chikfiluh. Is Jim Dandy still around?

HDPM
06-26-2004, 12:41 AM
No, Jim Dandy died.

FeliciaLee
06-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Love Chick-fil-A.

I think Pollo Loco can be good or bad. I've seen some really disgusting franchises, and some top of the line places, too.

Taco Cabana, in Texas and a couple of other states in the SW has the best fast food Mexican I've ever had.

A BBQ chain in Georgia (and maybe a few other southern states) has the most awesome BBQ. Pulled pork that is literally falling apart. Everything on their menu is just fabulous, and super cheap. I wish I could remember the name.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

SossMan
06-26-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Love Chick-fil-A.

I think Pollo Loco can be good or bad. I've seen some really disgusting franchises, and some top of the line places, too.

Taco Cabana, in Texas and a couple of other states in the SW has the best fast food Mexican I've ever had.

A BBQ chain in Georgia (and maybe a few other southern states) has the most awesome BBQ. Pulled pork that is literally falling apart. Everything on their menu is just fabulous, and super cheap. I wish I could remember the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than Commerce?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FeliciaLee
06-26-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Better than Commerce?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hardy har /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lion's Choice, a roast beef joint in the midwest. Meat shaved so thin you can almost see through it. Au Jus in a heated urn on the condiment bar. Yumm!

Zeno
06-26-2004, 02:38 AM
Fast 'food' chicken is garbage.

I've never ate at this chicklet-full-a-crap zap me a hunk of bird please place. I'll try it tomorrow and post my review. You better be right El, if not, I have a gun and no compunction at all about using it. Beware.

Dead Cow is where the real taste is.

-Zeno

FeliciaLee
06-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Just where are you? I thought Spitsbergen was in Norway. Please don't tell me they have Chick-fil-A in Norway now!

astroglide
06-26-2004, 02:56 AM
i prefer in-n-out over chick fil-a, no contest

Zeno
06-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Spitsbergen is an island at about 80 degrees North laditude that belongs to Norway. I live no where near this island. I live someplace else and I have seen one of these foul chick-a-lick places and after reading this thread have deicided to finally check it out.

My 'real' abode is somewhere in SA, I think. Near the triple junction of Peru, Columbia, and Brazil. Along the Atacuari River, a tiny tributary of the Amazon.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Zeno

J_V
06-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Fatass.

Ulysses
06-26-2004, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Love Chick-fil-A.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, good looking and smart. Just like me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chips y queso at Taco Cabana was a college staple. Mmmmmmmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
A BBQ chain in Georgia

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason to ever eat at a BBQ chain in Georgia. If you're in Atlanta, go to Fat Matt's Rib Shack. Mmmmmmmmm.... But really, BBQ deserves its own thread.

Only fast-food BBQ worth mentioning is Harlon's, which you can find in the United Terminal (D?) of the Vegas airport.

Ulysses
06-26-2004, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You better be right El, if not, I have a gun and no compunction at all about using it. Beware.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bueno. I lived in Oslo for a couple of years and am likely as big a fan of reindeer and whale as you are. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. But Chick-fil-A. Delicious.

[ QUOTE ]
Dead Cow is where the real taste is.

[/ QUOTE ]

NY - Peter Luger's, The Palm, Raoul's au poivre
Atlanta - Bones, Chops, & The Highland Tap
SF - Harris', Alfred's, Boboquivari's (Dry-Aged!), Acme Chophouse
Houston - I could go on for a long time

El Diablo likes and knows his steaks. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Ulysses
06-26-2004, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fatass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chick-fil-A. Not only the best, but also the healthiest fast food around.

Ulysses
06-26-2004, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i prefer in-n-out over chick fil-a, no contest

[/ QUOTE ]

You live in St. Louis, right?

Take your gf to Sidney Street Cafe. Have whatever (everything on the menu is great) and get a bottle of Sinskey Reserve Merlot (even if you're the kind of guy who says "Merlot? F that, I want a big Cab!," trust me, you'll love it).

Then, after finally having had a great meal in St. Louis, you'll be somewhat qualified to chime in on a food thread.

Until then, stfu. Olé!!!

astroglide
06-26-2004, 04:01 AM
trattoria marcella is the best restaurant in st. louis by a mile. have you eaten there?

JTrout
06-26-2004, 11:19 AM

Country's BBQ! Just thinking of it makes we want to get back on the road! I never leave Country's hungry!

Georgia, Florida, Alabama. Maybe more.

Cheers,
JTrout

bingledork
06-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Chick-fil-A has awesome lemonade too.

If I want a burger, I get a Wendy's double combo.

slavic
06-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Sadly no ChiK-Fil-A in Seattle :-(

They bake their chicken even though it seems fried. It's some of the best stuff ever.

In St Louis you have to eat at the Kris Steak House. Best airport BBQ is the Salt Lick in Austin. Taco Cabana does a fajita nacho's that is to die for, and don't even start me on the list of great places in Houston.

Seattle freakin sucks for food. We have fish, anyone want to have some endangered species for dinner, we sell it by the ton.

Sundevils21
06-26-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

Chick-fil-A has a handy site locator on their website. Looks like you can find one at Desert Sky Mall or the Metrocenter. There's also one at ASU and also some more in Mesa and Goodyear.

I recommend the basic Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich most of all. The nuggets are excellent as well. Slaw and waffle fries are good as well, but I often skip the fries. And they make some pretty good lemonade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dam u Diablo!! I moved to Las Vegas from Tempe about two years ago, and I almost had that delicious taste of ChickfilA out of my mouth. None in LV, Dam u Diablo!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anybody in Az ever had Honey Bear BBQ??

Ulysses
06-26-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best airport BBQ is the Salt Lick in Austin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt. Some of the best food you can get in an airport, period. El Diablo has been to BBQ joints throughout Georgia, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Texas as well as NY, Bay Area, and other random cities. Having been to hundreds of places, many excellent, one is a clear winner.

Salt Lick BBQ. The main restaurant is incredible. Family style all-you-can-eat in a barn in the middle of nowhere. Anyone visiting Austin should be sure to go. Don't forget to bring a cooler of beer.

You can mail order Salt Lick BBQ (http://www.saltlickbbq.com). The brisket and ribs both ship great, but it's pretty pricey due to the shipping.

sfer
06-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Do $3 bowls of steaming pho on greasy crowded countertops qualify as fast food? If so, I can't see anything on earth being more satisfying.

JTrout
06-26-2004, 11:42 PM
And how could I forget Sonny's BBQ. Awesome chain.

mikeyvegas
06-27-2004, 12:38 AM
On the subtle suggestion of The Diablo, I decided that this would be a great day to give Chick-fil-A a try.

As I was pulling out of the Mesa AMC parking lot this afternoon, I noticed that there was a Chick-fil-A across the street and took this as a sign from God. Pulling up to the drive through window I was greeted with very friendly “hello” was asked for my order. After giving the order taker my selection (Grilled chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and a Barq's Root beer), I drove up to the window and paid for my food. I wish I had a funny story about the change I received from the 20.xx I gave the cashier, but alas she gave me back the correct change of 1-$10 and 1-$5 bill. After about a 2 minute wait my order was ready and I was back at my apartment in 5 minutes. As I write this, I am engulfed by the aroma of my half eaten sandwich which now sits next to my laptop.

Review of the Grilled Chicken Sandwich:

I have to say that all of the ingredients appear to be of fine quality and freshness. I was given a packet of some sort of sweet BBQ sauce which after having it on my sandwich I would highly recommend. In terms of fast food grilled chicken sandwiches, this was by far the best I've ever had.

Grade: AsAc

Review of Waffle Fries:

This was an item I very concerned with going into the review. Most fries I taste disappoint me since I am used to the taste of the gravy and fry’s I’ve had while visiting family in Ontario. With that said, these fries did bring about a flashback for me. For those of you from Michigan (maybe Illinois, and Ohio) you may remember before McDonald’s were put into Meijer , they had a restaurant creatively called the “Meijer Café” that served waffle fries that I really enjoyed. I put Chick-fil-A waffle fries just below the level of the Meijer Café, but still satisfying.

Grade: JdTd

Review of Soda:

Not much to say on this, other than I think that the Coke at McDonald’s and the Mountain Dew at Taco Bell are stellar. As far as Root Beer goes, it got the job done.

Grade: 5s5d

Overall Grade: KcKd

Final thoughts (Springer Style): I’m not willing to say that Chick-Fil-A is a better place to eat than In-N-Out (which coincidently was right next door) but I’m sure to give it another shot.

Mike E. Vegas, Out

Ulysses
06-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Well done. Next time, instead of the grilled chicken sandwich, get the original Chick-fil-A sandwich. This pressure-cooked in peanut oil creation is still way healthier than the grilled chicken sandwich at any other fast-food place. Forget the root beer, go with the lemonade. And instead of fries, go with slaw or a small order of nuggets. The sauce you had may have been the Polynesian Sauce. Mmmmmmmmm. They also have BBQ and Honey-Mustard.

On a semi-related note, I recently had the animal style fries at In-n-Out. Unlike the animal style burger, which is outstanding, I felt the animal style fries looked great on paper but did not fully live up to their potential. I'm sticking w/ the basic fries from now on, though the Neapolitan shake, Mmmmmmmmm.

Six_of_One
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

On a semi-related note, I recently had the animal style fries at In-n-Out. Unlike the animal style burger, which is outstanding, I felt the animal style fries looked great on paper but did not fully live up to their potential. I'm sticking w/ the basic fries from now on, though the Neapolitan shake, Mmmmmmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I object.

Animal style fries, animal style burger, animal style anything...if there was an animal style shake, I'd try that too.

turnipmonster
06-28-2004, 11:45 AM
your bbq credibility is quickly losing ground when you:

1) fail to mention north carolina
2) include nyc in places you've had bbq. including the bay area doesn't help a lot either.

--turnipmonster

Oski
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your bbq credibility is quickly losing ground when you:

2) include nyc in places you've had bbq. including the bay area doesn't help a lot either.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

The only people I know that enjoy N. Carolina BBQ ... are fro N. Carolina. I don't know anyone else that can go for it. I have a friend from school who moved to N.C. about a year ago, and he can't stand the BBQ.

I had it once (not the real thing, but a place in San Luis Obispo offered it, and I did not like it too much, either).

turnipmonster
06-28-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but a place in San Luis Obispo offered it

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a west coast mecca for NC style bbq /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

--turnipmonster

astroglide
06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
what does animal style do to the fries?

ArchAngel71857
06-28-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chick fil a sucks IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Well, at least you have decent taste in Scotch.

[ QUOTE ]
And I hate their stupid closed on sunday bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only valid criticism of Chick-fil-A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. The only valid criticism of Chik-fil-a is that their chicken nuggets are too tiny. Some bites are just the crusty breaded caoting which has soaked up some grease. Other than that, Chik-fil-a is awesome. However, they had one on my college campus and I ate there too much, so I have pretty much sworn off it the rest of my life.

As for their closed on Sundays thing, I read in the restaurant that they are closed on Sundays to give their employees the day off to observe religious practices. That means that they don't work, they don't drive a car, they don't fuckin' ride in a car, they don't handle money, they don't turn on the oven, and they sure as [censored] don't [censored] roll! Shomer shabbos!

-AA

Oski
06-28-2004, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but a place in San Luis Obispo offered it

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a west coast mecca for NC style bbq /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you should not post the quote out of context. I prefaced the comment by stating "not the real thing."

Obviously, you have not been to San Luis Obispo.

Finally, the Food Channel (you can comment all you want on their credibility) held a BBQ cook off. NC-syle scored as the worst style, period...and by far.

So, you should be happy that nobody else likes your BBQ; you will have more to yourself.

turnipmonster
06-28-2004, 02:34 PM
honestly I could care less. I have actually been to san luis obispo, and I find the idea of getting nc style bbq there almost as funny as getting it in my neighborhood in brooklyn.

my original point was nc bbq is clearly nationally known as a style, as evidenced by the food channel bothering to review it at all.

--turnipmonster

Cptkernow
06-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Man.

This whole thread reminds me of why I went to LSU for my exchange year fit and nimble and came back a complete lard ass.

I wasnt ready for the choice and the cheapness and the quality.

Yea of course all the main fast food chains were sheet, but man tex-mex and bbq establishmnets WOW. (Not including taco-bell obviously)

I also had (due to crafty fiddles) loads of $. Man I put on so much weight.

Drinking with lincoln didnt help (Wednesday night pay 5$ to get into bar drink as much as you like.) No one would offer this in the UK as it would be commercial suicide. Of course on my fisrt drink with lincoln I went a bit insane ( AS any Britisher would do finding that the bar was in effect now free) and woke up with one half of my bed covered in my own puke.

Ahh the food, the Beer and the picking fights with the fresh faced Frat boys in my dorm. What a great year.

I forgot to mention the brilliant effect that the english accent has on Yank chicks.

Man this is making me think about doing a masters program, however unlike the pre graduate courses which were a peice of piss and barely required my presence, these looked like quite hard work so maybe not.

Oski
06-28-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly I could care less. I have actually been to san luis obispo, and I find the idea of getting nc style bbq there almost as funny as getting it in my neighborhood in brooklyn.

my original point was nc bbq is clearly nationally known as a style, as evidenced by the food channel bothering to review it at all.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

True: its a syle barely worth mentioning. You brought it up, because nobody else did, and felt it damaged people's BBQ credibility to not mention it.

S.L.O. is right in the middle of California's ranching region. I find it interesting that one would even think of going to N.C. for BBQ before going to Central California.

You can get those awful N.C. spices and vinegar anywhere, its a little harder to get good pork and beef. Of course, that is why N.C. BBQ was invented. Their meat is so sh!tty, it has to be covered up with Mustard and vinegar. Its not like they can tell the difference after chain-smoking all day, anyway.

Philuva
06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
I have never been to Salt Lick, but I would suggest hitting the Interstate BBQ at the Memphis airport. That is some good stuff.

Philuva
06-28-2004, 02:52 PM
None near me unfortunately though.

mikeyvegas
06-28-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what does animal style do to the fries?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Animal Style Fries" = fries with cheese, spread, grilled onions.

By the way, I am not a fan of these fries.

Senor Choppy
06-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Without a drive-thru, it doesn't qualify as true fast food (although they do have stand-alone units with drive-thrus in other parts of the country). Finding parking at the mall just to get a chicken sandwich isn't worth it.

Wendy's is #1 for their mix of quality, variety, and price. Lion's Choice is up there, as well.

FeliciaLee
06-28-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without a drive-thru, it doesn't qualify as true fast food (although they do have stand-alone units with drive-thrus in other parts of the country). Finding parking at the mall just to get a chicken sandwich isn't worth it.

Wendy's is #1 for their mix of quality, variety, and price. Lion's Choice is up there, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me...I wonder which of us had Chick-fil-A first?

My Grandparents had one of the first CFA's in the country at their mall, in Cape Girardeau, MO. It was mid-70's. I was a little kid.

Can anyone remember eating them prior to maybe 76, 77? Or do I get the CFA "oldest chick" award?

Phat Mack
06-28-2004, 07:20 PM
When i first came across Popeye's in the mid 70's, their food was the real deal. When they decided to go nation wide, they must have felt they needed to tone everything down. I don't think the even sell dirty rice anymore. They sell some kinda minute rice now. Popeye's, I'm sad to say, sucks.

Phat Mack
06-28-2004, 07:22 PM

Right. We had this thread a couple of years ago. The really smart people like Fatburger. mmmmmmmm

Ulysses
06-28-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vinegar. 'nuff said.

astroglide
06-28-2004, 10:44 PM
i ate in-n-out and fatburger for the first time on consecutive days, and i thought in-n-out was much better.

GuyOnTilt
06-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Seattle freakin sucks for food.

The man's gone mad.

Seattle has GREAT Asian food, which deliciously includes my favorite genre of tastiness: Thai. I haven't found a single great Thai restaurant down in the LA area yet, and I'm pissed. I ate Thai almost every night I didn't eat steak when I was up in Seattle just because I was so Thai-deprived from the disappointing LA Thai-scene, or lack thereof.

Panang curry, Pad See Ew, and two bowls of warm jasmine rice. Oh how I long for Seattle.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
06-29-2004, 12:12 AM
How has nobody mentioned L&L Hawaiian Barbeque??? For my money, it's the best fast food I've had. Taco Del Mar's Super Burrito's also rule.

GoT

Ulysses
06-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Lacking any facts or experience, I'll go ahead and make the bold statement that LA has better Asian (including Thai) food than Seattle.

How many of these places (http://losangeles.citysearch.com/best/results/8518/) have you tried?

GuyOnTilt
06-29-2004, 12:30 AM
How many of these places have you tried?

Only 3 of them, but I can think of two Thai joints on the Eastisde of Seattle that are head and shoulders about Saladang on Fair Oaks (#1 on the Citysearch). Thanks for the list though. I'll be sure to give the others a shot.

GoT

scotnt73
06-29-2004, 11:40 AM
i love the chicken biscuit for breakfast. sucks that they are closed on Sunday so i dont eat there often.

WEASEL45
06-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Chipotle is the best with Del Taco a close second

turnipmonster
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
chipotle!? we have that in nyc. for nyc they have good burritos, but that's not saying a lot.

btw, the best fast food restaraunt is bojangles.

--turnipmonster

astroglide
06-29-2004, 05:06 PM
i have heard very good things about chipotle, but if del taco is a close second i'm disinclined to trust your taste. i've eaten there a lot of late nights, and it always sucks - even when under the influence.

astroglide
06-29-2004, 05:08 PM
anybody have ZANTIGO in their area? 80s mexican chain, great bean and cheese burritos with a menu that had nothing over $0.99. taco bell bought them /images/graemlins/frown.gif

OH THAT REMINDS ME

remember taco bell's old SHREDDED cheese? their current cheese is grated. the shredded cheese was much better.

Ulysses
06-29-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chipotle is the best with Del Taco a close second

[/ QUOTE ]

We have Chipotle in SF. There are about 800 burrito places that are way better, take the same amount of time, and cost the same or less. I guess if you don't have any real burrito places where you live, Chipotle is OK.

ArchAngel71857
06-29-2004, 05:18 PM
bojangles.

I believe you mean Bo-han-glaze.
Which still ranks third behind San Antonio Taco Co. and Sheets/WaWa.

-AA

bdk3clash
06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Cosmic Cantina has the best burritors I've had in NYC. Chipotle is very good, while Burritoville is merely "good."

Curse this low-carb regimen I'm on.

HDPM
06-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Chipotle started in Denver. I was hard pressed to ever go there because they suck compared to other places. The best cheap burrito in Denver was Chubby's. Miscellaneous beef in a regular tortilla doused with heart stopping colon removing green chile. Best fast food green chile around. Not the best green in town, but excellent on a burrito. Chubby's was probably the hottest. Chipotle is boring yuppie fare. For Mexican food I want hot greasy texmex stuff. That is another thread. But I want deep fried rellenos, tamales that drip, and green chile that tests your fortitude. Not grilled chicken asada with black beans and some cilantro and a southwest cactus-tomatillo ooze. Chipotle is pretty good for fast food, but given any kind of burrito choice I wouldn't go.

FeliciaLee
06-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried Burrito Brothers in the DC area? Those are the biggest burrito's I've ever seen. Great taste, too.

I think I read once that they are employed by ex-cons and street people who are trying to make a new start, etc.

We used to have one in Reston,VA, near AOL, and it was always packed.

paland
06-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Since I am diabetic and have high cholestrol, I have to be picky in what I eat. So the best place I've been is "Socko's". It's a place where you can dine on the exquisite taste of rice cakes and seaweed. If you spice it with a little salt, it is just great. And then wash it down with some nice water since that is the only thing I can drink anymore.

Years ago, when I was hoboing around, the best place to eat was the Jesus Saves mission in downtown any city. You had to listen to some sermon but boy was that bowl of beans and water good!

sfer
06-30-2004, 03:57 AM
La Tacqueria in Park Slope is noticably better than CC. Much closer to the original Misson Style Bay Area model. But neither hold a candle to a randomly picked dozen Bay Area tacquerias.

sfer
06-30-2004, 03:59 AM
I fully affirm this statement.

I believe Chipotle is now a wholly owned subsidiary of McDonalds.

bdk3clash
06-30-2004, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe Chipotle is now a wholly owned subsidiary of McDonalds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Philuva
06-30-2004, 10:45 AM
I use to live on E. 11th and 3rd, right near Cosmic Cantina. I think their burritos suck, too salty with little flavor.

I love Burritoville. Their chicken fajita burrito is outstanding.

But yes, NYC mex pales in comparison to west coast mex.

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But yes, NYC mex pales in comparison to west coast mex.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shining, golden beacons of nyc mexican are Rosa Mexicana and Mexicana Mama. I say this having eaten at over 40 mexican restaraunts in the city. I love mexican food so much, I took a vacation to oaxaca just to have the mole.

--turnipmonster

sfer
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Eh, I'd rather go to Bonita in Williamsburg.

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 11:09 AM
than rosa or mex mama!?!? I'll take vera cruz over bonita in billyburg alone.

--turnipmonster

sfer
06-30-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take vera cruz over bonita in billyburg alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eek. Have you been to Vera Cruz in the last couple of months? I think they've changed owners and it is not the same.

Philuva
06-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Rosa Mexicana and Mexicana Mama were two of my favorites. I also liked Maya and Zarela.

The guaco taco at san loco is also one of my favorites.

They still don't compare to the west and southwest. I also am a HUGE mexican fan. 2 of the 3 weeks we spent on my honeymoon were traveling around the southwest and we probably ate at mexican places 90% of the time. I was just out in San Fran last fall and same great stuff in the mission district as well. One of the biggest differences right from the start is that the west coast avacados are soooo much better than what most places can get in nyc.

R Petty
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that most guys prefer the in-n-out action over some fast food resteraunt.

Schneids
09-12-2004, 10:20 PM
So I remembered El D's post about this place and decided to give it a second chance last week, even though I wasn't impressed when I had it once last year.

I ordered the chicken sandwich, ate it, then met up with a female friend. We go back to her room for awhile, then we decide to go walk around campus. Shortly after starting this walk, I need a bathroom break to go pee out of my butt. Thank you Chick-Fil-A.

The vote remains: mediocre at best.

WillMagic
09-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Are you serious?

Chick-fil-A isn't even in the same ballpark as In-n-out, in fact, it's not even the same sport.

So give me a double-double without, fries, and a chocolate shake, and take your chicken elsewhere.

Will

Q8offsuit
09-12-2004, 11:21 PM
I really like Steak n' Shake (based out of Normal, IL, huge in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc.) if you are talking fast food.

Awesome burgers and shoestring fries!!

BTW, Felicia, is it Maurice's BBQ you are thinking of? All over SC and the deep south, pretty good for the price.

astroglide
09-13-2004, 03:05 AM
i was able to reconfirm that in-n-out is clearly superior to fatburger last week in scottsdale. if you remove the egg it's not even close. i'll pay better attention to chick-fil-a though, what should i order specifically as a full meal? just the sandwich with nuggets?

i also tried chipotle and i think a local chain, tomatillo's mexican grill, soundly beats it. flavored rice, better steak, better salsas, etc. but chipotle's guacamole was better.

RPatterson
09-13-2004, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chick-fil-A (http://www.chickfila.com/Home.asp) is so good that it shouldn't even be called fast food. Really, it's excellent food that just happens to be prepared really quickly.

Even Ray, if he were ever to try it, would admit that Chick-fil-A rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, everyone knows best fast food is Jack In The Box. Roll up in there all stoned. If you got a low bankroll, they got some tight big burgers for 1 dollar, monster taco for 1 dollar, 2 regular tacos for 1 dollar. If you have money left from buying weed you can get the monster taco meal, or the hella bad like, that flat sandwich type bread burger thing, the bacon burger is hella good too. They're fries are the best too.

Damn I needa go there.

astroglide
09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
ok i ate at chick-fil-a tonight. got a sandwich, nuggets, and waffle fries.

sandwich: totally excellent. bread + mayo + chicken (pickles optional) and it needs nothing more.

waffle fries: as warned, too potato-ey. didn't stand up w/o condiments, but okay.

nuggets: good, not exceptional. needs bread to tie it together.

i agree that it's excellent, and it's the only chicken sandwich i can imagine wanting. that being said, i think in-n-out is better and more repeatedly enjoyable. they just need to work on their fries.

vulturesrow
09-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Chick-Fil-A is awesome. However, I challenge anyone to find a place that has better fries than Rallys/Checkers. Those fries pwn.

astroglide
09-22-2004, 01:28 AM
rally's fries are excellent. lion's choice is actually better, but it is by a small amount. and they're straight up fries too, not redbatter.

The Dude
09-22-2004, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Blasphemy. The gods will surely smote you for thise one, El Diablo.

GuyOnTilt
09-22-2004, 02:43 AM
You guys have got to be joking me. L&L Hawaiian BBQ is the best fast food joint in California.

GoT

The Dude
09-22-2004, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys have got to be joking me. L&L Hawaiian BBQ is the best fast food joint in California.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're going to burn in hell for that one, GoT. God Himself eats at In-n-Out, didn't you know?