PDA

View Full Version : all-in flush bluff...

zephyr
06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

Hero (t820)
UTG (t345)
MP1 (t305)
MP2 (t1085)
CO (t2310)
Button (t670)
SB (t2465)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t30, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t200</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t490) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t590 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t590.

River: (t1670) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1670
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1670 (t1670), between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t1670).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8h 7d (straight, nine high).
SB shows Jd 6h (full house, sixes full of jacks).
Outcome: SB wins t1670. </font>

Stupid?

My thinking was as follows:

I semi-bluff with my pot-sized bet on the flop.
I get raised; I'm thinking that this means my opponent has a made hand and is charging me for draws. I think he thinks that I'm on a draw. In this case I have 8 outs for the staight, and 11 club outs to bluff on.
I'm getting ~ 3 to 1 from the pot.

Was this a good call on the flop?
Was my all in bet good on the turn?
What should I make of his check raise on the flop?

Zephyr

TheDrone
06-25-2004, 05:47 PM
The check - minimum raise on the flop tells me he probably has a set and wants to extract more money from you without scaring you off. If it was a bigger raise I would expect he has a 5, under pair, or a medium overpair and is trying to protect his hand.

Not many players will lay down trips as the chip leader with that all-in bet of yours, even if you are representing the flush. I would check the turn to get a free card and hope for the non club 9 or 4 on the river.

EverettKings
06-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Tough call. Lots of times weak players check where he did due to fear of you making a flush, but even then-- his hand was strong enough to check-raise the flop (more than likely a 6) so he's probably going to look you up if you push (especially since he could expect a bluff in that spot). I just don't think you can take it down often enough for this to be profitable.

That said, I'd take my free card here. It gives him a green light to bet the river with his 6 even if he doesn't fill up, so if you make your hand on the river(and the board doesn't 4-flush) you can push there and double up. You really can't put him on a boat, so shake off the fact that he completed his SB with J6 and got lucky.

Just my 2 cents

caretaker1
06-25-2004, 05:58 PM
The flop bet looked fine, the call was ok, although if you were positive he had a made hand a fold would have likely been better.

I don't like the bluff for two reasons, one he's showed strength and you have interpreted that (correctly) to mean he has a strong hand and two, in my experience at Party, trips alone are very seldom laid down (which he probably has, barring he was playing a high overpair, even if three flush cards are on board. In other words, had the next card been a Qc instead, most players I've seen would still not fold to that play. Also, another, albeit less likely, possibility is that he reraise semi-bluffed you on the flop and hit his flush on the turn.

The value of the semi-bluff comes from the possibility of your opponent folding (which seemed unlikely) and that if one of your outs hits you would win. With a three flush and a pair on board, this necessarily would hurt the odds of a made straight being best as well. My $.02

Nemesis
06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
This play seems to be taken straight out of the ciaffone book, but he fails to mention all the other factors to take into consideration.

MushashiAce
06-26-2004, 01:32 AM
You didn't bet enough off of the flop, you needed a strong raise in order to see his reaction towards your strength. Still, sucks that the cards came as they did.

patrick dicaprio
06-26-2004, 09:08 AM
it diesnt seem like you had an integrated plan for this hand. you probably came up with the bluff on the spot rather than saying before hand that you would bluff if a club comes on the turn. i would never bluff all of my chips here. what hands do you think he is going to fold if he raised you on the flop?? he has trips on the flop and your all in bet isnt all in for him so he still has chips left.

this is a case of FPS. you are not playing against players who will fold trips, and lets face it they probably shouldnt at this level.

Pat

zephyr
06-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks patrick dicaprio,

You hit the nail on the head, this was a definite case of not having a good plan from the get-go. I'm not going to get my opponent to lay down trips, especially with another card to come, and thats the only likely hand that he would check-raise with imo.

Thanks again,

Zephyr

eastbay
06-26-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case I have 8 outs for the staight, and 11 club outs to bluff on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got check/min-raised on the flop. Don't count on any "bluff outs."

eastbay