PDA

View Full Version : what hand do you put this guy on?

sxz18
06-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Hero is in BB with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, everyone else folds including SB, Hero checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, UTG makes bets pot-size, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Was UTG on a flush draw? A pot-size bet doesn't seem to make sense if he had a queen. I think he would've either tried to sucker bet the minimum or overbet to get out chasers.

fnurt
06-25-2004, 02:57 PM
There's nothing unusual about a pot-sized bet here, it could be a flush draw, a queen, or a pair like 88.

A good player will have a "standard" bet size to use on the flop, to avoid giving away too much information from the size of their bet.

As for the idea that he might have made a minimum bet with top pair to get callers, I just hope that play isn't in your repertoire. It is very, very rare that you want to slowplay one pair, especially in a tournament.

Potowame
06-25-2004, 03:06 PM
he could have had a # of hands its hard to tell with just a limp and pot size bet on the flop. Not much info to go off, He could have had 99 and taking a stabe at the pot,mabey he limped with KK or AA possible flush draw with a clean over or queen. Could, have had A high, and bluffed everyone out, Hehe.
Either way its hard to call this bet from your position and win with out improving, more than likley he will pressure you again on the turn and river. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

schwza
06-25-2004, 03:39 PM
yeah, easy fold. don't know what he had.

Desdia72
06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is in BB with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, everyone else folds including SB, Hero checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, UTG makes bets pot-size, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Was UTG on a flush draw? A pot-size bet doesn't seem to make sense if he had a queen. I think he would've either tried to sucker bet the minimum or overbet to get out chasers.

[/ QUOTE ]

a Queen is not totally out of the question because he may have limped with one and now that he's gotten one on the flop, he may have a suspect kicker. if he feels no one can beat the Queen at this point (even with a suspect kicker), he may not be inclined to wait around and find out whether someone can with a /images/graemlins/heart.gif draw.

steeser
06-25-2004, 04:11 PM
QJ

MLG
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Putting a player on a hand in this situation is pure guesswork and is not what you should be concerning yourself with. Rather you should be thinking about what hands he might hold, and what the chances of each one are. The idea that you can "know" what somebody has is very overrated. Pinpoint precision reading like that is very rare and usually only occurs when you are familiar with your opponent.

SossMan
06-25-2004, 04:20 PM
88-JJ, QJ, KQ, /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif ...does it matter, you can't call. Hell, I may play a set the same way w/ the flush draw out.

patrick dicaprio
06-26-2004, 09:37 AM
there is no reason he cant have a queen here. if you had a queen wouldnt you make a pot sized bet here? i dont think a Q would overbet, i certainly wouldnt since i would only get called with hands that beat a pair of Q's. i certainly wouldnt discount a Q because it was a pot sized bet.

Pat