PDA

View Full Version : Limit SNG. Flop and turn capped 3-way.

pzhon
06-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Limit SNG, 9-handed, deep stacks (2nd hand of the tournament).
Blinds are 10/20

Hero (CO) has A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Preflop

Fold, UTG+1 limps, fold, MP2 limps, fold, Hero raises, 3 folds.
UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop (3 players, 150): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Check, check, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>.
Call, <font color="red">raise</font>, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>.
Call, <font color="red">cap</font>, call.
Call.

<font color="green">Comments? It must be good to see this capped 3-way, even if AA turns out to be a boat draw.</font>

Turn (3 players, 390): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, <font color="red">bet</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>.
Call, <font color="red"> 3-bet</font>, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>.
Call, call.

River (3 players, 870): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, <font color="red">bet</font>, <font color="blue">Hero ...?</font>

<font color="green"> What do these people have? Straight? Flush? Lower boat? Quads? Straight-flush?
If you would raise, what would you do if UTG+1 calls and MP2 3-bets?</font>

La Brujita
06-25-2004, 12:55 PM
What $ amount is this tourney? Since neither of the blinds play 3-5 suited is a bit less unlikely correct?

I raise the river and if there is another raise I four bet. True you may be beat by quads but depending on the $ amount of the tourney and the read on the players I think the value bet with the third nuts is the correct play here.

I don't know if this point is correct, but since the bets are only 40 on the river I am more likely to aggressively value bet rather than saving my last few chips if that makes any sense.

Curious to see what the players had but this is the type of hand you can't be outcome sensitive in determining the next play next time. My guess would be flush and a lower boat. It is helpful you don't have the As.

EverettKings
06-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I'd raise and cap that river all day, every day.

You're beaten by 3s5s and 44, and you just have to pay those hands off. If he called a raise preflop with 35s good for him for getting ridiculously lucky, and I would expect 44 to bet a 3 flush flop.

More than likely he flopped a flush, probably K high, and is ignoring the paired board. So push the limits and rake in the monster pot. You're probably going to tell me he turned over quad 4s, but you just have to pay that off.

RcrdBoy
06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Flop cap is good. You still have a decent chance to make the best hand if you don't have it already.

I think you should raise/cap the river. This could easily be a completed flush and worse.

BTW - you didn't mention the level of the SNG or the site, but I did find it odd that it was 9 handed on the second hand.

I'm guessing you lost to quad 4s? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jason Strasser
06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Pzhon,

What am I missing?

Regardless of where I am playing, and of what the stakes were (hell if my college tuition was on the line), I'd be raising this till someone showed me their quads or straight flush.

If you don't raise here, you are giving up WAY too much. Take this baby all the way, I'm not sure why you posted this. Are you expecting someone to tell you to fold or call?

Your opponent could have anything. Likely a flush, maybe some sort of weird boat (Ace-4? Two-four?). Oh yes, he could have quads or a straight flush, but you're going to fear that?

pzhon
06-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Since the first few people agreed with me, I'll post the results quickly.

The CO just called, and UTG+1 called again.

UTG+1 had AQo, with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, for 2-pair and missed 2nd nut flush draw. What an optimist! I thought he had at least a flush.

I was MP2, with 44, quads, picking up the pot of 990. I overlooked the straight-flush possibility, and thought I had turned the nuts, but I would have played it the same way if I had noticed.

I figured the CO (Hero) had AA from the turn action. It was nice to hit my 1 out. I posted this because I was surprised he didn't raise on the river. I haven't recently played any limit hands with the flop and turn capped, so I wondered if I had missed something.

DCIAce
06-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Raise/Cap. It's not even close.

pzhon
06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW - you didn't mention the level of the SNG or the site, but I did find it odd that it was 9 handed on the second hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was on PokerStars, so the tables start 9-handed in Hold'em. It's impossible to get eliminated quickly in a limit SNG, though some people try pretty hard. The down side is that getting hit by the deck doesn't mean much in the first levels. People paid off my quads, top set, AA, TPTK, etc., but I only doubled up. (I commented, "How do I tip the dealer?") By that point in a NL SNG I would have most of the chips.