PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop- any recommendations?

Paluka
06-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I searched some old threads but wasn't happy with what I found. I am basically buying the machine so that when I travel I can play poker, but I'd also like it to be capable of playing games like Warcraft etc...My biggest concern is multitabling, so what do I need to know to make sure I can play 4 tables smoothly?

smudgex68
06-25-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest concern is multitabling, so what do I need to know to make sure I can play 4 tables smoothly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 4 laptop computers, so you can put one on each table. I'd also advise a good chair with really good wheels. I've found the best configuration is to place the tables in a U shape, because I can also then "back pedal" out of the open end of the "U" straight to the bathrooom without having to stand up.

SpicyF
06-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I dont know if your concern is portability, if you really want a true protable computer and not the 7-8 lbs desktop replacement laptop's. I just recently purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-TR3AP3 which is a very small computer with 10.6" widescreen, 1280x768 is the maximum resolution, or something like that. I can 4table easy on this, with overlap ofcourse.

It's the best laptop I have ever had. Weighs like 2-3lbs. But if you can't take the overlap, this probarly aint for you. Check www.sony-style.com (http://www.sony-style.com) or www.sony.com (http://www.sony.com) to check it out..

GL!

sprmario
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
The problem I have w/ Sonys is that they tend to not be as reliable. The Viao's are really nice and light though. I wouldnt' buy anything else than a Dell or a Sony. Sony if you want light and snazzy and Dell if you want reliable and higher powered but heavy. I have 2 Dells and I think that overall they are better, but the Sonys are nice and light.

ArchAngel71857
06-25-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if your concern is portability, if you really want a true protable computer and not the 7-8 lbs desktop replacement laptop's. I just recently purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-TR3AP3 which is a very small computer with 10.6" widescreen, 1280x768 is the maximum resolution, or something like that. I can 4table easy on this, with overlap ofcourse.

It's the best laptop I have ever had. Weighs like 2-3lbs. But if you can't take the overlap, this probarly aint for you. Check www.sony-style.com (http://www.sony-style.com) or www.sony.com (http://www.sony.com) to check it out..

GL!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the computer I am trying to get. As far as Multi tabling, one table takes up about 89% of the 10" screen. But it is by far the most portable one out there.

If you don't mind lugging around heavy laptops, get the Sony 17" one. It will be able to support any games liek Warcraft, plus multitabling won't be a problem.

I think it wieghs like 15 pounds though.

-AA

SpicyF
06-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Let me add a warning about SONY. I tried to purchase the Vaio from Sonys onlinestore. I got charged for the laptop 6 times, and when I talked to support via telephone, they had no idea where my money was... /images/graemlins/smile.gif It all had a good ending, but my advice is to call them and place the order, dont use the onlineordering system! (Took about 10 days before all the moeny was refunded aswell)

stoxtrader
06-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I just bought the DELL Inspiron 9100 with full options from the refurbished dell store - got a whole lot of computer for 1500 bucks, including wireless internet and loaded options. I can 4 table when traveling and 8 table with it at home by hooking up my desktop monitor to it and running two screens...

Ponks
06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Someone else mentioned Dell and I'd like to chime in that I'm happy with it as well. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100, I got last year, and I can play 8 tables on it at home no problem, I'd assume I could play 8 while traveling too aslong as I could move the mouse easily. (I cant get used to those touch pads at all) Sometimes the comp gets hot with 8 tables so I have a fan that blows on it next to me, but it can handle 4 tables without it.

Ponks

Baulucky
06-25-2004, 05:27 PM
That sounds like a good deal. I'll check it out myself. Thanks.

Slacker13
06-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I just purchased the Toshiba A75-S226 with the wide screen. Vey nice and great performance. Also like the wide screen for multi-tables. Two thumbs up.

george w of poker
06-25-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes the comp gets hot with 8 tables so I have a fan that blows on it next to me, but it can handle 4 tables without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing 4 more tables isn't going to make your computer hotter

2+2Mike
06-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I just got a Dell 5150 from their refurbished outlet too and I love it. With its 1600x1200 resolution I can play four tables without overlap! It's hard to get that resolution (UXGA) though - mine was the only one I could find at the time and the new models don't seem to offer it.

Mike

MicroBob
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
i also got the inspiron-5100 with 1600x1200. 15.4" screen with that kind of resolution works fine for me.

i asked for suggestions on this forum in december and january under 'new laptop' and 'new laptop redux' threads (might have used handle 'microboy' instead of 'microbob' then).

it's a decent computer for the money but is definately fairly heavy and clunky.

i easily 4-table from anywhere (including down the street at the local wireless coffee place)
....or can 8-table when at my desk hooking up my extra monitor.

i have no idea if it will slow-down for whatever other video-games you might want to play.

those vaio things DO look pretty cool though so i might invest in one of those toys if/when i get a ton of spare dough lying around.

regarding the heat from these things....in a different thread, someone told me to get a laptop cooler thingee at a comp-usa.
makes it generally more comfortable, and certainly helps save the mother-board from frying.

anyway, there's a company called avtec (i think) that makes them....and there are others.
it's just a flat leather-ish type of mat you place under the laptop. plug it into one of the USB's, and little, silent fans blow from underneath to keep it cool.

it only costs $20 or so. just go to a Comp-USA and ask if they have have a lap-top cooler thingee.

the difference on my laptop is VERY noticeable.
much cooler. and much much better for your computer.

i used to travel with my old laptop and sometimes had to set it up outdoors in 90-degree+ weather (summers in florida)...not surprisingly, the computer started fritzing out after a couple of years of that kind of abuse.

MRVEGAS
06-26-2004, 03:44 AM
I was playing 47 tables at once on my laptop and sumbitch just blew up. 3rd degree burns all over my lap. Lucky i was wearing my depend adult diaper no vitals were injured.

No time for bathroom breaks with that much action goin.

MRV /images/graemlins/grin.gif