PDA

View Full Version : did i play this like a chickenshit?

riverboatking
06-25-2004, 02:58 AM
pretty early in the MTT and this guy has been playing real tight. only seen him play one hand and it was AA.
any thoughts?
should i have value bet the river like 300 maybe?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t725)
<font color="C00000">BB (t2130)</font>
UTG (t755)
UTG+1 (t150)
MP1 (t965)
MP2 (t115)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t2140)</font>
CO (t4210)
Button (t710)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t105.

Flop: (t260) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB calls t200.

Turn: (t660) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t660) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t660
<font color="green">Main Pot: t660 (t660), between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t660).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qd Kd (two pair, kings and nines).
Hero shows Qc Ad (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins t660. </font>

eastbay
06-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Yes.

You should have bet the turn.

eastbay

riverboatking
06-25-2004, 03:08 AM
the reason i didn't bet the turn was i didn't want to open myself up for the check raise semi-bluff if this guy had a hand like A5 hearts and picked up the flush draw. if i bet and he raises i have to lay it down. however if he has a weaker ace he may value bet the river in which case i'll win more when i'm ahead and lose less when i'm behind.
i'm not worried too much about free cards because its highly unlikely he's playing QJ here and if he has either an ace weak kicker or a K he is drawing to very few outs.
my real question was whether i should value bet the river and or bet the flop harder. i am okay with my turn check as the board pairing no kills my domination of a weaker ace. however i think there is a chance a king will pay me off for a small value bet on the river.
hmmmm.........

Beavis68
06-25-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the reason i didn't bet the turn was i didn't want to open myself up for the check raise semi-bluff if this guy had a hand like A5 hearts and picked up the flush draw. if i bet and he raises i have to lay it down. however if he has a weaker ace he may value bet the river in which case i'll win more when i'm ahead and lose less when i'm behind.
i'm not worried too much about free cards because its highly unlikely he's playing QJ here and if he has either an ace weak kicker or a K he is drawing to very few outs.
my real question was whether i should value bet the river and or bet the flop harder. i am okay with my turn check as the board pairing no kills my domination of a weaker ace. however i think there is a chance a king will pay me off for a small value bet on the river.
hmmmm.........

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes absolutely no sense to me. Even if he picked up a flush draw, you are still a favorite with one card to come, so make him pay.

You think he has a flush draw, but you aren't afraid of giving free cards??????

MLG
06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
I think he is afraid of being bet off a better hand, not of the flush hitting.

As for the hand, value bet the river. There are a lot of hands that you beat that i think will call you and more to the point I have a hard time believing that any hand that's beating you will check twice in this situation (although its possible I'm underestimating your opponent).

Paul2432
06-25-2004, 01:44 PM
The nine pairing on the board counterfiets his kicker. He has the same hand as anyone else holding an ace (AAK99). In fact, AhXh has more scooping outs then he does.

I think a bet is a good idea to move another ace off his hand. A lot of people don't realize that the pot will be split and will fold an ace-weak kicker hand.

Paul

SossMan
06-25-2004, 02:45 PM
I think you raised too much preflop. T60 or T70 is plenty. Other than that, I like the check behind on the turn. I think you need to value bet the river. After you checked behind on the river, it's pretty unlikely he's going for the river check raise. If he had a hand that could beat you, he'd be afraid of you not betting.

THaDoCTa
06-28-2004, 07:55 AM
why are you afraid to bet the turn, opening yourself up to a checkraise from a possible turned heart draw? Say your read is right and your opponent holds AX hearts. If you check, you give him a free ride and what comes will come, killing your hand 20% of the time. If you bet, a turned heart draw will definitely call you and MISS most the time.. might as well put more money into the pot when u have the best of it right? It's about 24-1 to hit running flush cards.. if they come then sh*t happens but the other 24 times you are gonna have made him pay to miss..