PDA

View Full Version : please tell me how to play this better!

umdpoker
06-25-2004, 01:36 AM
all i have to say is that i suck. i think my flop bet was good, but i should have folded the turn. i am not sure if i should have bet the turn though, and then folded to a raise. i wonder how many times it will take for me to learn that jj unimproved is a SMALL POT HAND!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($12.95)
UTG+1 ($16.80)
Hero ($34.85)
MP1 ($26.15)
MP2 ($23.75)
MP3 ($44.20)
CO ($43.48)
Button ($22.05)
SB ($102.55)
BB ($20.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 raises to $1, MP2 calls $1, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.75) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $3, MP1 calls $3, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($9.75) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets $9, Hero raises to $25, MP1 calls $13.15 (All-In).

River: ($56.90) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $56.90

gomberg
06-25-2004, 02:07 AM
I think this play is fine - at those limits I think you have positive edge playing it that way. I'm assuming you lost from the post. The only way you're getting away from this hand is if you know this player minnie raises preflop w/ great hands (AA,KK,maybe QQ). I might try to get to showdown for cheap, but it's hard not to push this like you did with the draws out there and an overpair. If he has you beat, he has you beat in that spot - hopefully he'd call here w/ ATs also.

NotAClue
06-25-2004, 02:53 AM
I don't see the point of the check-raise on the turn. You aren't folding out any better hands, and chances are you aren't getting any hands you beat to call you.

MercTec
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Give any thought to raising PF?

bingledork
06-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I would raise preflop to weed out the garbage hands or to punish the idiots.
Otherwise I think you played it well.

gojacketz
06-25-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't like the limp preflop.

At the $25 NL Party games, there is no way I am laying this hand down. You will get paid off by a T more times than not.

I have a feeling your opponent had something like J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif or T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I see the min raises with suited connectors a lot on those tables.

Gojacketz

Mackas
06-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Raise preflop, not only do you get rid of the crap but you know where you stand a lot more after the flop when the betting hots up because of the strength you have indicated preflop. It is then reasonable to assume that someone betting out into you or check raising you can beat what you are representing. They also might tip their hand by rereraising you preflop. The way this has played out it is very difficult to know where you stand.

That said, whatever way this played out preflop, it was going to be difficult not to get the money in on this flop, though the fact remains a preflop raise would have gotten rid of a lot of the hands that can beat you here that only had to call a mini raise preflop.

Samiam888
06-26-2004, 01:12 AM
That bet MIGHT have moved someone with QQ, but other than that, your bet is not going to get any additional money out of most players unless they have you beat...

--Samiam--

tewall
06-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Your post is very condescending. Why should he be trying to get money off you? He's trying to beat the people he's playing. You don't think the low limit NL players will call with worse hands?

Even if you were right, there's no reason for the sarcasm.

tewall
06-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Another reason for the pre-flop raise is you're playing out of position, which makes your hand more difficult to play. With the position you have more flexability on how to play it.

Samiam888
06-26-2004, 01:36 AM
You're right. I apologize. I've edited.

--Samiam--

tewall
06-26-2004, 02:08 AM
It's too late for me to edit mine.

I'm glad for your response. I was afraid I was going to get flamed.

Samiam888
06-27-2004, 03:41 AM
OK, on deeper thought, while I don't like the failure to raise pre-flop -- not a monster raise, just a reasonable, $3-ish raise -- I really don't like the play on the turn.

The check gave away the overall weekness of your hand, and lost you control of the action, and the re-raise was just counter-productive...

--Samiam--