PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Rusty : A9s in the SB

GuyOnTilt
06-24-2004, 11:52 PM
40/80 Commerce not long ago. Good table with 3 players on tilt. It's folded to the CO who I believe plays the 80 and 100 games professionally. We've been playing together for a bit so we know each other so-so. He opens and the Button folds. I 3-bet with A /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and we lose the BB.

Flop comes: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out. He pauses for maybe 3 seconds and calls.

Turn comes: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, he calls in rhythm.

River comes: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet.

How'd I do?

GoT

nepenthe
06-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Against an unknown I bet the river everytime and hope to get raised. Against a Party player I *might* try a checkraise, as I've noticed that many players bluff/semi-bluff bet heads-up when checked to.

elysium
06-25-2004, 10:16 AM
hi guy
no problems here guy. played fine. you got past the crucial pre-flop 3-bet area prone to error. the only other possible variation would be on the turn if you had check-raised the flop and backed down to the reraise. the flop check-raise is good here if you've been betting out a lot with the goods, because of the pre-flop 3-bet which makes your opponent think that you wouldn't check-raise the A on the flop. on the turn, you have a stellar environment for another check-raise. these double check-raises when you've developed an image of betting out with strong made hands and have reraised out the blind in loose late position situations, hit a strong hand and check-raise the flop for deception, well i'm getting into a paragraph knot, but when you make deceptive check-raises on the flop, there is room for a bona-fide check-raise on the turn. the important thing is that a draw that your opponent will bet, develops on the turn. the important thing is that your opponent must bet. that usually means that going for a double check-raise is wrong. but when that first check-raise is made to indicate weakness, its impact on your opponent is removed. this doesn't mean double check-raising is correct, but when the impact of the first check-raise is removed, there is no reason not to make a value check-raise on the next round of betting. and since check-raising for deception on the flop means that your hand is strong, the failure of the double check-raise to fold-out is non-problematic especially if the draw that develops gives you an even bigger draw. just don't go around trying to fold-out with your double check-raise. the first check-raise must be for deception, and the double check-raise must be for value.

Joe Tall
06-25-2004, 10:18 AM
You are rusty, welcome back.

Nice hand.

EDIT: I thought about it a little more. Looks like a good spot for a mike l. river-check-raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

slavic
06-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I would be scared of the "err I respect you" river check through.

gonores
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd also be afraid of the "I'm not THAT stupid" fold to the check-raise. I think it's a clear bet.

Joe Tall
06-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I would be scared of the "err I respect you" river check through.

But what about the, "He gave up, I value bet my Ax"?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Paluka
06-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Against a pro player, I have to think it gets checked behind here more often than your checkraise gets called.

Joe Tall
06-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Against a pro player, I have to think it gets checked behind here more often than your checkraise gets called.

What would he pause-call the flop and call the turn with? Would he fold to a river bet?

Peace,
Joe Tall

MRBAA
06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
You're way over my limits here, but this looks like either a strong ace that planned to raise the river or a pocket pair that decided to call you down. I'd keep betting and hope a strong ace will raise the river.

Joe Tall
06-25-2004, 12:08 PM
I'd keep betting and hope a strong ace will raise the river

I don't think a strong player would wait until the river to raise. This is why I put his turn call on a weak Ace as I think he'd raise a strong one there. I also feel he'll think you gave up on trying to move him off and value bet many hands here.

I hope someone will add some strength to an arguement. Then maybe the forum is dead, I dunno.

Peace,
Joe Tall

chesspain
06-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Given your three-bet preflop and your inference that he knows you to be a TAG, it would seem as if checking any of the post-flop streets here would look more suspicious than simply betting out.

andyfox
06-25-2004, 12:40 PM
If the guy usually plays bigger at Commerce, he's unlikely to just have called all the way with A-x. Not that's it's impossible. If he indeed has A-x, he's likely to lay it down to the check-raise. He's almost a certainty to call the river bet, having called all the way.

Joe Tall
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
If the guy usually plays bigger at Commerce, he's unlikely to just have called all the way with A-x. Not that's it's impossible. If he indeed has A-x, he's likely to lay it down to the check-raise. He's almost a certainty to call the river bet, having called all the way.

Ah, it's "if he's bluffing, I'll let him bet his chips off into my QQ, so once I call this flop I'm commited to a showdown."

Thanks Andy.

Peace,
Joe Tall

GuyOnTilt
06-25-2004, 05:04 PM
He called the river and my hand was obviously good.

I wasn't really questioning the river bet. I don't think a check is a good play. He's likely to check behind and he wouldn't pay me off with Ax if he did bet it, so I think betting's best. My only thought after the hand was whether I should've bet the turn or not. He's likely to fold 2 or 1 out hands there to a bet, and the times when I'm outkicked I'm going to be getting raised there quite often. After the hand I pondered a check-call the turn, bet most rivers line. Any merit?

GoT

slavic
06-25-2004, 05:52 PM
If it were no limit or pot limit I would say yes. If raised though your mistake is only a fraction of a bet and I think it's made up for when lesser hands call.

GuyOnTilt
06-25-2004, 05:59 PM
If raised though your mistake is only a fraction of a bet

My win rate in that game is only a fraction of a bet...

GoT

Saborion
06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
What would you have done on the river if you had been raised on the turn?