PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 hand #108 - KK on the button, down shift?

nykenny
06-24-2004, 10:44 PM
i had doubt on the way i played this hand. as it turn out the results were unfavorable. but could i have played this hand right and gotten better results? please explain your points.

more simply put, should i have changed gear on flop and shut down?

thanks,

Kenny

================================================

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (11 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between SB and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ah Qs (one pair, aces).
UTG shows Ts 8d (two pair, tens and eights).
Outcome: UTG wins 13 BB. </font>

andyfox
06-24-2004, 11:13 PM
According to Twodimes, up against A-K and T-8, you win 8.42%; against A-Q and T-8, you win 13.51%. You could close the flop action getting $275:$15. Alternatively, you could have 3-bet and probably gotten a free card. Coilean is probably out expert here on the true value of the backdoor draws. I couldn't bring myself to fold for one more small bet on the flop, despite the thought in the back of my head that a king could make UTG a straight.

ZeeJustin
06-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Interesting hand. Does anyone check this flop?

Coilean
06-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Getting 18:1 immediate odds to close the flop action with a call (and probably another 6:1 or better in implied odds), you really don't even need the backdoor draws to stick around. The backdoor draws coupled with any chance of having the best hand should certainly swing this one from a close call to an easy call on the flop, though.

A flop 3-bet might work for getting to the river cheaply in many live games, but I think on Party many players will happily cap it off with an AJ or better and then lead the turn, so I would just call and see what the turn brings.

Checking behind on the flop here seems like an option as well, since you could pretty easily be drawing to 2 outs (plus your backdoor shots) or have your opponents drawing to 2-7 outs (plus their backdoor shots) between the two of them, in some bizarre multiplayer variant of the ole way-ahead/way-behind scenario. The main danger of this play would be if you induce the SB to bet a worse hand on the turn and UTG raises, leaving you in a real quandary.

nykenny
06-25-2004, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The main danger of this play would be if you induce the SB to bet a worse hand on the turn and UTG raises, leaving you in a real quandary.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is exactly my concern about checking behind in such a situation. and i am now convinced by you that the flop call was easier than i made it to be...

thanks,

Kenny