PDA

View Full Version : Any help would be appreciated for my problem

VeraN
06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi guys, I am having serious problems. Normally I play the $5 SNGS over at pokerstars and I usually get in the money most of the time. Now I understand some pros are going to look at me like I'm some amateur for playing $5 SNGs and ignore this, but for those who are willing to help me with my problem, please continue reading.

I've been having horrible bad beats and a streak of bad luck the past two days. I don't recall placing money in any of the tournaments I've played and that's all I do. I just play SNGs, and I've played about 50-70 of em.

The one good thing that's happened is that I placed 5th in a $3 buyin tournament that had over 1000 participants and won $183. However ever since then, my bankroll has decreased over 100 and I don't know what the problem is. I believe I play the same way I've always been playing. It's just that hands like pocket aces, and kings get wrecked left and right even if I protect them. Other times, I flop sets going all in as low stack, only to have it crushed by the chip leader having the top pair, but somehow catches 4 running cards for a flush. This has happened so many times that I can't even believe what's going on. All I can think about is Daniel Negreaneau's quote "When you're lucky and catch cards the game is so easy but when you're not, it's like do I even know how to play poker?"

I have poker tracker so if anybody could tell me the necessary steps to find any leaks in my game, I would greatly appreciate it. I am a tight aggressive player.

Eder
06-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Well i just went thru a stretch of 10 games 5$ SnG winning only once and third once rest out of the money...I was losing all the all ins even though i got my $$ in as favorite. After losing the first 4-5 I found I started to loosen up ...playing suited connecters...playing 10-Jo,etc...generally unconsiously my game went to crap. Last 3 Sng I have concentrated on playing premium hands only till blinds get higher...then getting aggressive and have been rewarded with 2 1st's and a cheap 3rd where my AK lost to AJ....

When on a losing streak try play your A game, i know my loosening up was the cause of my losing streak touched off by a few bad beats.

ewile
06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
welcome to your first loosing streak. These threads pop up nearly every day so there is a ton of advice for you all over this site.

Most of these threads will tell you that these bad runs are an expected part of the game so you need to begin to learn to deal with them now. They happen to everyone a few times a year and can last a surprisingly long time. But, if you really are a good player, you will come out ahead in the end.

Many people feel that they are playing their A games durring their bad runs. You probably aren't so study your poker tracker and post hands in the appropriate forum to get feedback on your game.

Take a break, or play some different types of games. You already did that by entering the $3 tourney. Maybe try the .01/.02 NL ring games on Stars, or try a little limit Hold'em or start to learn Omaha for diversity.

Review your books.

Hope this helps...be patient. If you really are a good player you'll get through this.