PDA

View Full Version : AJo in BB

dave44
06-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I believe my poker game is severely lacking in some areas, and I think this hand is a great example. How would other people have played this?

Should I have....
3-bet pre-flop?
raised the flop with my A-high gutshot straight draw?
bet the turn still unimproved?
called the turn bet with a gutshot and draw to a J-high flush?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Button wins 5.50 BB. </font>

submariner
06-24-2004, 07:30 PM
I would have folded the flop. I know this is tighter (weaker?) than many play, but I;m not comfortable playing on with overcards w/o a backdoor flush and straight draw at least, usually. Unless the pot were bigger.
Once you call the flop, though, I think you have to call the turn with your flush draw.

RoyalSampler
06-24-2004, 07:46 PM
I think you should fold, because your gut shot is a 1:11 and your implied odds are terrible. Even worse, there is a good chance someone else has the ace, meaning, you are drawing to a split pot. Let alone the flush draw.

dave44
06-24-2004, 08:19 PM
pre-flop call is OK though?

citizenkn
06-24-2004, 09:48 PM
I generally don't think a 3-bet is good with this hand, but I think it might be worthwhile in this situation. A 3-bet would probably knock out the button and give you position on the SB. On the flop, I think you definitely have a call with the straight draw, backdoor flush, and overcards, and another call on the turn now the the flush draw is in full swing (button probably has a queen, so I think you have plenty of outs---any remaining aces, diamonds, or threes). I'll definitely see the river with this hand....

submariner
06-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Totally missed the gutshot draw on the flop...