PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat observation. What does it mean?

soxfan70
06-24-2004, 12:29 PM
I've been having some difficulty lately lasting depp into tourneys. After several posts, I think I discovered the problem was I had fallen into the bad habit of playing marginal hands out of position if I was the first one in the pot.
Having realized that, I played in a MTT last night with the thought clear in my mind not to make those mistakes, and i didn't. I played much better, but unfortunately got knocked out on the bubble when my Aces and Jacks were cracked by a set of deuces. In checking my stats periodicaly druing the tournament, I found some interesting numbers. After 120 hands, i had seen 24 flops, and won 14 hands. Of those 14 hands I won, NONE of them went past the turn. I'm not sure what to make of it. Am I playing TOO aggresively and not maxamizing my hands? Or is NEVER showing down a hand a good thing? Any thoughts would be aprreciated.

Dentist
06-24-2004, 12:43 PM
This is a dilemma I have as well.

On one hand you can play uber-tight, last a long time win a lot of pots without showing down (which of course is superior.. I mean, how often have you lost when "they" fold on the flop or turn... NEVER).

However, the pots you win here are usually small-ish.

on the flip side, if you play more hands (because after all you have to play to win) then unless you're having the cards run of your life you are definitely playing marginal hands.

for awhile I thought I had the perfect blend of hand selection/agression because for about 2 months I could do no wrong.. final table after win after final table.

However in the last 6 weeks... NOTHING.. barely even a sniff of the money.. which of course either means I'm running bad... or I was running so good earlier that I'm not as good as I thought I was.

People have posted that a lot of the "good" players (ivey) play a lot more hands than normal... but then there's guy's like Harrington that are supposedly pretty tight that have had good success.

I have been practically blinded out of 2 of my last 3 tournies because I just never got ANYTHING... even when you are running blinds steals every so often with any 2, eventually you have to get something... and 10 6, Q 3, K 2, and J 7 aren't gonna cut it.