PDA

View Full Version : Botched AK hand

DVO
06-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Just when I think I'm making progress, I make a play like this. It's embarrassing to even post it.

$100 NL game at Hawaiian Gardens yesterday. Blinds $2 & $3, 9 handed.

Stacks of key players: ~$130 me; ~$60 EP; ~$100 LP.

I get AK suited (clubs) on the button.

4 limpers, I jack it up to $15 ( not enough?), 3 callers.

~$65 pot.

Flop 2-J-A, two spades.

EP bets all in ~($45), MP folds, LP calls!

No solid read on either of these two, but I suspect EP is on a draw, as few around here would move that boldly up front with a set or two pair. They more likely would check/raise or check/ call, and milk it.

LP baffles me. My brain says lay it down - he probably flopped a set, or maybe had AJ for two pair. What else would he call with? Could he be on the same flush draw?

I've seen enough crazy stuff around here, though, that I convince myself it's worth the call. I may well be still ahead, and often this kind of hand gets checked down after the flop...blah blah blah.

~$200 pot now.

Turn: 5 diamonds, a brick. Board: 2-J-A-5, two spades.

LP goes all in for his last ~$40.

With EP already all-in, why would he bet unless he was ahead? He wouldn't do that on a draw, right? Now I'm convinced I should have folded the flop. Surely one of them, if not both, is way ahead of me. It's not worth even the 6/1 odds. I fold, regretting my weak ass play and the $45 I threw away on the flop.

River is the 7 hearts, and both EP and LP show busted flush draws. EP wins on his high card.

Argh.

My main question is this: Should I have folded the flop against these two?

leykis
06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I would have assumed I was beat on the flop and layed it down too with no read on the players.

schwza
06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I would have folded on the flop. If I were going to play, I'd push. If it makes you feel any better, MP's push on the turn was horrible, IMO.

AZK
06-24-2004, 02:16 PM
My standard raise is 3-4 X BB depending on my table image and who I'm playing with, and then 1xBB for each limper, so I probably would have raised it up to $24 and then see who wants to play...

DVO
06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
"My standard raise is 3-4 X BB depending on my table image and who I'm playing with, and then 1xBB for each limper, so I probably would have raised it up to $24 and then see who wants to play..."

Thanks, I like that approach. Even a raise to $20 probably would have gotten me down to heads-up, which was what I wanted.

umdpoker
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
i like the preflop raise size. i think raising much more than 10% of your stack size unprovoked is never gonna get that much action. i usually raise about 10-12% of my stack(nearest dollar), or the pot size(blinds +limpers money), whichever is greater. either push or fold on the flop i think. with a 2 flush board, anything is possible. i think they both have either a flush draw/ace-weak kicker often enough to make it profitable to push. if they both have a flush draw, the odds of them hitting the flush are very low as well. whatever you choose to do, do not call $45 on the flop, and then fold to $40 on the turn in a good-sized pot.