PDA

View Full Version : Hate this Flop 2

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-24-2004, 12:03 PM
$20 + 2 multi on UB. 51 started, 28 left, binds are 50/100, I have 2285 UTG+1 and am dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Folded to me, I make it 300 to go, UTG+2 calls, all fold. pot = 750

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet 750, UTG+2 puts me all-in. No matter how hard I try, that black A in my hand remains a club. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ugh. Comments?

fnurt
06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
I call all day.

swimfan
06-24-2004, 12:20 PM
If the other guy has made flush, I would think he would only call (don't think a reasonable player would call a raise with baby-medium suited). I could see this move with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif x, K with spade kicker or a set. I think I would have to call, and hate it when he shows me a set of 8's /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

MLG
06-24-2004, 12:26 PM
If my numbers are right I think you have to call here. Betting 750 out of your 1985 stack (2285-300) pretty much commits you to it. Unless you are sure that this particular opponent wouldn't raise without the flush you have to call. I think there is enough of a possibility that you are up against a K or a flush draw (or possibly K and flush draw) that you have to call. I don't think checking the flop here helps, because your opponent's actions here won't define his hand for you (he might check or bet with nothing, or the flush or anything inbetween), therefore I think you played it right provided you called the raise.

SossMan
06-24-2004, 11:32 PM
With your stack size, I insta-call. I also don't expect to be very far ahead. He probably has a pair w/ a flush draw and doesn't want to get pushed off the hand on the turn when a non-spade hits.
The T750 bet committed you to this, as you are now getting about 2:1 where you are likely between 50-50 and 65-35. I think this is too much equity to pass up on.

Boy, him mucking would have been nice, though.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I folded to his all-in. I don't feel as bad about this hand as I did about the other, despite the number of replies that said this was an easy call.

I think the red herring here is the monochrome board. I thought that his play suggested a set more than a made flush, though I can see a reasonable player playing something like Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif this way.

While the hand was happening, I thought that I might be ahead of about 60% of the range of hands his play suggested. When I would be ahead, I wouldn't be way ahead, but if I were behind, I'd be at best drawing to 2 outs.

I feel there's a tendency to get married to aces and lose your whole stack because, dammit, you have aces. On the other hand, I may have gotten a bit too aware of how aces can lose post flop.

The education continues.

Gamblor
06-25-2004, 03:03 PM
If he's going to call the raise anyway, why not just push on the flop?

MLG
06-25-2004, 03:08 PM
There really isn't much difference. Either way works, but this way maybe an opponent who doesn't realize he's pot committed will try to push him off his hand with just top pair which maybe he folds to the all-in. Who knows, ultimately its 6 of one half a dozen of the other in my opinion.