PDA

View Full Version : Was I too greedy here?

MercTec
06-24-2004, 09:55 AM
1/2 NL Home game.

Pretty loose game. I am in late position with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and limp in and all fold, SB completes and BB checks (not too loose for this hand unfortunately)

Flop comes KKK
As VVP would say, bingo bango bongo (or sumthin like that)

SB checks
BB bets $2
I call
SB folds

Turn card comes Q
BB bets $2
I raise to $5
BB calls

River comes a rag (no flush or straight possibilities)
BB bets $15 dollars as if trying to buy the pot.
I have around $45

I push....he folds.

He is a notorious calling station and was sitting on a big stack so I thought he would call even if he only had ace high. But my question is, in a situation like this where u have the pure nuts and a player goes for a steal...do you want to push and double up...or do you bet just enough to entice a call and squeeze some cash out of them?

Anyone play it differently....looking back I think i should have at least raised PF. Thoughts?

bingledork
06-24-2004, 10:14 AM
You got way more out of your quads then I've ever managed.
Be thankful. I think you played it fine.

tewall
06-24-2004, 10:28 AM
You want to bet the maximum that will be called. However, that can be very difficult to guess, and is very player dependent. Many players will think you're bluffing if you go all-in when there's a scary board, so that often is the best play, since it pays off so well when it works.

Zag
06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Against over-aggressive players, I sometimes make a smallish raise on the flop, hoping he calls, and then check behind or just call the turn. If you get them to call the flop raise, they are on the hook and you will double up before the hand is over.

Just as often, I would play it the same way you did. Betting less than all in on the river would be suspicious, too, but might get a call. If you had made the minimum raise and he had called, you would be on the board here asking if you should have raised all in. The bottom line is to do what feels right at the time, and try to continue improving your intuition. Sometimes whatever you do will be wrong, just because the player has nothing anyway, or because he had AA and WAS willing to go all in when you failed to.

t_petrosian
06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Ditto this most recent poster. I think you did well. You called the flop, bumped the turn and got a few more $. You used your judgment about the guy on the river and it didn't work out. Hindsight being 20/20, yes - you shouldn't have raised all in. Unless you're psychic, all you can do it use your best judgment of the other player.

schwza
06-24-2004, 12:07 PM
yeah, it worked out well. i was originally going to say that you should have raised a little more on the turn (hoping to look like a real steal attempt), but it's definitely possible that your teeny raise induced his steal-attempt on the river.

and i never open-limp in the cutoff or button and very rarely in the CO-1.