PDA

View Full Version : LAPD Excessive force thread

ChristinaB
06-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Pursuit Suspect Beaten in Controversial Use of Force (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/062304_nw_pursuit.html)

Read the article, watch the videos linked in the article.

Looks like the guy surrenders, lays face down on the ground passively, and then gets beaten by flashlight.

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 07:39 AM
It feels like I see this happen all the time at the end of police chases, but nobody ever does anything about it.

-Michael

smudgex68
06-24-2004, 08:50 AM
There's no room for these type of people in the LAPD, they would do much better in the military police.

Anyway, more to the point, when are you having your breast augmentation.

Dilbert
06-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Always bitching about the men in blue who protect you. Once you get your new boobs, these men in blue will probably save you from a rapist. Will you complain then?

MMMMMM
06-24-2004, 04:23 PM
I am not current on this sort of thing in the news but my views have always been that gratuitous police violence is deplorable and should be punished.

In my opinion, we should have fewer policemen overall but have a higher quality of personnel on the force. Pay them much better then select only the cream of the crop for an elite job. Make watchdogging this sort of abuse a greater priority, too, and have heavier penalties for physical abuse after the suspect is subdued (which is when abuse most often accurs).

Now I'll go read your linked article;-)

adios
06-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Mark Fuhrman /images/graemlins/smile.gif stated that if the suspect doesn't put his hands out and leaves them under their body things get ugly fast. I saw the video tape. The guy dropped to his knees with his arms extended and then the cops were all over him. He didn't appear to me to be a threat when he dropped to his knees and it seemed to me, an unknowledgable layman, that the cops didn't give him a chance to go faces down, spread eagled. Saw him being pummeled by a flashlight wielding cop. Ugly, ugly.

Boris
06-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Awwwwwww who cares? He probably deserved it.

Sloats
06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
How many times do the police need to do this before the citizens get the idea that speeding away from the police is NOT a good idea. You'll not escape and you risk putting thousands in harms way.

I know of few other jobs were you expect humans to produce and then ignore adrenaline in unnatural ways.

blackaces13
06-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes but how about the fact that HE STOLE A CAR!!!

This guy is not a victim of a random act of violence. He stole a car and led a high speed chase through a residential area putting numerous lives on the line. If this guy doesn't deserve a few whacks with a flashlight then I don't know who does.

We as a society need to stop feeling bad for people who don't deserve our sympathy.

HDPM
06-24-2004, 05:35 PM
There is a massive difference between not feeling sorry for them and beating them with deadly weapons with no immediate necessity or due process. It is kinda the definition of civilization. Last time I looked car theft and felony eluding carried prison terms. How about giving the guy a trial and sending him off instead of having a 42 IQ neanderthal beat him in the street while he is handcuffed?

blackaces13
06-24-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about giving the guy a trial and sending him off instead of having a 42 IQ neanderthal beat him in the street while he is handcuffed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with him getting both. Seems fair to me.

Sloats
06-24-2004, 05:51 PM
California judge will just let him walk. /Someone/ has to punish them.

:Obscure reference: Bring back the White Bulls!!! :/OR:

cardcounter0
06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Rule 1:
Don't break the law.

Rule 2:
If you mess up and violate Rule 1, Don't run away from the Cops!

Pretty simple, really.

Boris
06-24-2004, 06:01 PM
You voted for Bush didn't you?

Boris
06-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Terrorist.

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 07:03 PM
You forgot being born white.

-Michael

craig r
06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
why rape? do rapists only rape people with big boobs? why couldn't you have said, "Once you get your new boobs, these men in blue will probably save you from a burglar?" when you think about raping a girl, do you only think of doing it to the ones with big boobs? do you even know where most rapes take place?

craig

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
This is ridiculous and offensive.

-Michael

andyfox
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Why would a California judge "just" let him walk? Our jails in California are filled to overflowing. Doesn't appear there's a lot of walking.

Hey, my son's LAPD. I know what he faces day in, day out. But as HDPM points out, the forces of justice have to act differently than the criminals.