PDA

View Full Version : AA vs TT/JJ etc

jfresh
06-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Is there anything you can really do when you have 99/TT/JJ, you opponent has KK/AA, and the entire board comes uncordinated, and 8 high for 99, 9 high for TT, etc (basically both pp are overpairs)? check/call?

especially shorthanded, I don't see myself ever folding an overpair to a nonthreatening board. enough people bluff hard at draws, AKs, etc to make it profitable, no? Even if i had TT and a J hits the board, I would probably call down unless my opponent was very tight...

what are your thoughts?

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Not only do I think there's nothing you can do here, I think you pretty much have to stick around with AK and perhaps worse.

These situations are very opponent-dependent, however. If you checkraise some opponents on the flop, they will let you know right then and there whether your 99 is good when they either just call or reraise. Others will pop you on the turn and you can fold there, but will just call you with big overcards.

Frankly, in easy games, you can figure out where you're at with 99 and such. The problem is often with JJ or QQ, as you can't be sure they're not pushing a smaller overpair themselves. My first comment applies only to tough players or when the game is shorthanded.

-Michael