PDA

View Full Version : Threw away 2nd place

TheCat
06-24-2004, 03:35 AM
50 pound buyin NLHE. Down to the last three and except for some disaster I’m looking good for second or first.

Dealer (4k)
SB (51k)
BB Hero (50k)

Blinds are 700,1500

I get KsTd

Dealer folds, SB raises to 4k,BB calls

Flop KcTc8c

SB bets 10k
BB All in
SB calls

SB shows Ac6d

Turn is a club, river is a rag, I’m out in 3rd place.

I’m not sure if a better play would have been to call on the flop and see what hit on the turn. On the other hand I correctly put him on a draw and I’m going to make him pay to draw. I was after all, over 2 to 1 favourite here. Still I feel my play was over zealous and I through away an almost sure 2nd placing.

Comments welcome

kenstall
06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
I think your play is correct. You could've saved yourself some chips by calling the flop, but if the 4th club doesn't come on the turn and he bets out, you're in the same situation. Your all-in re-raise will take down most hands here (Exception, trips, made flush, A of clubs). You had the best hand with all your chips in the middle and put him to the decision. Bad Luck.

AStrauss
06-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Given any other situation during the tourney, I'd agree, especially HU, but definitely NOT this time. The small stack was at 4k?? come on now, no need to throw it away by calling, even if you had top two pair. All you needed was to coast, and you had at least 2nd... sorry, but very bad choice.

EverettKings
06-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Agreed. With the SB having under 3 BBs, you should fold that KT preflop to the raise, and wait to secure second.

But thats the only reason why your play was wrong: had you been heads up, or had the SB not been so short, you played perfectly. Tough luck though

TheCat
06-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Some very good advice here from everybody.
I think I did play it badly. I believe the call on the flop was correct. He has only made a small raise and I have a pretty good hand. Going all in on the flop was a mistake. I should have either foldded or called here. If a blank comes on the turn I can go a all in as he has much less chance to draw out on me with only one more card to come.

Sundevils21
06-24-2004, 07:16 PM
fold preflop.
I think your postflop play was great. It basicly comes down to this... if a club comes, you take third--if a club doesn't come you take first. When down to three players I'll take a 2to1 chance of taking first place ANY DAY.