PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 01:29 AM
I realize he is the new coveted player in baseball right now, but does anyone thing he is overrated in this regard? I do.... thoughts though.

J_V
06-24-2004, 02:01 AM
Do you play fantasy baseball? If you did, you wouldn't.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 02:13 AM
yeah I do, but many people seem to think he is like this savior or something ala Arod. but he seems like a solid team player, not someone that will win you games on his own.

J_V
06-24-2004, 02:19 AM
I think I'd rather have him than Sammy on the Cubs (as do most in Chicago). I think he's that good.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 02:23 AM
yeah, I guess. I know in my league he is ranked 14 overall which is very very good. I realize that he is a very good fantasy player but as far as affecting his teams outcome I am not so sure. Ichiro ranks very low in fantasy rankings but he does a lot to help his team win. I have to say that Beltran is very good, but I am not sure if he is THAT good.

J_V
06-24-2004, 02:26 AM
He used to be known as more of a leadoff type hitter. But over the last 3-4 years he's had all the power numbers on a crap team. Finally, I get someone to agree on a sports question. I'm on top of the world.

Sooga
06-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Being a Beltran fantasy team owner, there's no doubt that I think he is a fantastic player, but with the hype-machine on at full-blast, I'm starting to think he is becoming overrated. On one hand, when you look at his career stats, nothing really jumps out at you. He's never hit over 30 homers, never hit for a super high average, and only last year did his OPS finally get above .900. On the other hand, the guy is only 27, and history has shown that most ballplayers hit their huge seasons at ages 27-29, so perhaps the best is yet to come. He's a poor man's Vladimir Guerrero, which is obviously not meant to be an insult, but I think whoever ends up signing him long term will be drastically overpaying.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's a poor man's Vladimir Guerrero, which is obviously not meant to be an insult, but I think whoever ends up signing him long term will be drastically overpaying.

[/ QUOTE ]
You hit the nail on the head.

Uston
06-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Depends who's doing the rating. I can think of twenty guys in the majors who are more productive but I still think he's a great player.

bugstud
06-24-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's a poor man's Vladimir Guerrero, which is obviously not meant to be an insult, but I think whoever ends up signing him long term will be drastically overpaying.

[/ QUOTE ]
You hit the nail on the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me the contract and I tell you if it's overpaying. Vlad's contract is flat-out stealing by the Angels. Honestly, Beltran is about as good as a CF as there is in the major leagues right now. That being said, His stats will probably get a little worse from not hitting in Kaufmann all the time, but if he actually gets in a really good lineup (Yankees /images/graemlins/mad.gif) He'll be awesome.

andyfox
06-24-2004, 01:59 PM
When your outfield is Dave Roberts, Milton Bradley, and Juan Encarnacion, Beltran looks like Babe Ruth.

nolanfan34
06-24-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When your outfield is Dave Roberts, Milton Bradley, and Juan Encarnacion, Beltran looks like Babe Ruth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, great post.

As another Beltran owner on my fantasy team, I like the rumor of him going to Houston far more than any LA scenario.

I think he is a top-10 player for sure. While I'm a sabermetric guy, OPS is not the end-all-be-all stat, and Beltran's defense I think does a lot to make him a very complete ballplayer.

He would have made a great Mariner, if they would have given up the pitching to get him.

offTopic
06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be worse. Could be Coco Crisp, Cap'n Crunch, and Count Chocula.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me the contract and I tell you if it's overpaying.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just got off the phone with Steve Boras.... they are asking for a 7 year deal @15 million a year.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-24-2004, 03:33 PM
The Royals would be wise to trade Beltran now while his star is shining so brightly, because while Beltran IS good...

he's NOT that good. He's something like the 25th best player in the league, which is still fantastic, but in perspective, isn't something to drool over and won't be worth the contract he'll surely be getting in the offseason.

That being said, any team (that can afford overpaying him) would be lucky to have a player of Beltran's talents.
He's a solid hitter.
He's an excellent basestealer/runner.
He plays an excellent centerfield.

Uston
06-24-2004, 04:10 PM
I just got off the phone with Steve Boras.... they are asking for a 7 year deal @15 million a year.

There's going to have to be two or more rich teams bidding for his services for him to get anywhere near that. The new Red Sox regime is too OBP-consious to make that mistake. The Yankees will pay. Unless the Mets brass start taking a ton of heat for blowing it with Vlad, no one else will bite.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
1) The Mets have Mike Cameron in center. Despite his stats thus far, he's a fine player.

2) Of course the Red Sox would love Beltran on their team.
Johnny Damon throws like a girl, and Beltran's a better hitter too.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one else will bite.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, c'mon, baseball is all about overpaying people. He will get atleast 10-15 mill a year next year, I guarantee it.

Uston
06-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Naturally, the Red Sox would love to have him. No way they offer anywhere close to 7 years at $15M per.

Despite his stats thus far, he's a fine player.

You mean thus far in his career? .773 career OPS from a non-middle infielder is as mediocre as it gets.

Uston
06-24-2004, 04:34 PM
He'll get ten. If Vlad couldn't get $15M per, Beltran certainly won't, either. I'm predicting Beltran in the Bronx with a 5 year, $55M contract.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Taking this year aside...

Mike Cameron suffered an absolutely horrible (and abnormal)home/road split while playing in Safeco field, and Shea Stadium isn't that friendly to hitters either. The past four seasons while Cameron was a Mariner, his road OPS was .874. He simply couldn't hit at all in Safeco.

Now this is a moot point this year, because he's not hitting at all...

but also note that he's one of the top 3 defensive CF in the game.

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm predicting Beltran in the Bronx with a 5 year, $55M contract.

[/ QUOTE ]
your probably right, but I don't think he will do as well in NY.

daryn
06-24-2004, 05:46 PM
beltran will go to the red sox.

he's not meant to replace johnny damon by the way. damon would likely still play center.

nolanfan34
06-24-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
beltran will go to the red sox.

he's not meant to replace johnny damon by the way. damon would likely still play center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would he take over left for Manny? Or right for Nixon? With Ortiz and Damon on my fantasy team, I would love to see this happen. What an offense.

I think Boston is probably where he'll end up, since they can offer what the Royals want. 3B in Youkalis, C in Shoppach (although this means they better resign Varitek), and potentially one of the arms a little further down their minor league system.

Not going to be surprised to see the A's in this mix too, since I guess the Royals really like Mark Teahan at 3B, who is playing in AAA.

andyfox
06-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Three team deal involving Dotel.

Boris
06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Is Billy Beane the Man or what?

bugstud
06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Billy Beane the Man or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

You better believe it, though as a Cubs fan I'm pissed he couldn't route him to LA instead...time to pray the Houston acquires Mesa to "bolster" the 'pen /images/graemlins/grin.gif Houston's offense just got REALLY DAMN SCARY.

My $.02

WillMagic
06-25-2004, 01:40 AM
I think he is a tad overrated right now - people see him as the be-all end-all savior for the Astros. He's very solid...with a +900 OPS, he's definitely a great hitter, and he gets his share of walks, too. But the steals don't really matter unless you are in fantasy. Still, he's probably the best hitter out there.

However, the Astros gave up Dotel to get him, and that's a pretty hefty price. IMO, the A's made out like bandits in this one, giving up Teahen and another random minor leaguer for Dotel and CASH FROM THE ROYALS!!! I still don't know how he does it. I guess it's his brokerage fee.

Will