PDA

View Full Version : all too strange

stripsqueez
06-24-2004, 12:04 AM
the black queens on the button in a normal/weird 10/20 game

cutoff limps, i raise, and the BB and cutoff call

every opponent on all 3 of my tables is a chook - thats all i know

flop is 6d Ks 7d - checked to me - i bet - BB raises and the cutoff cold calls - i figure i wasnt given this position to call so i 3 bet and they both call

turn is 3d and its checked through

river is 9c and its checked through

all i can tell you is that i didnt like the turn card and still didnt like it when i got to the river

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Guido
06-24-2004, 04:26 AM
When the turn wasn't a diamond, would you have bet? Is this an auto 3-bet on the flop?

Guido

stripsqueez
06-24-2004, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When the turn wasn't a diamond, would you have bet? Is this an auto 3-bet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey !!

i'm asking the questions

yes and no

Guido
06-24-2004, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm asking the questions

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry but I didn't see any questions /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guido

chezlaw
06-24-2004, 04:47 AM
2 chooks check to your button queens on the turn and river and you don't bet. I feel strangly let down.

I don't think I could keep my finger from the bet button on the river.

Schneids
06-24-2004, 05:17 AM
I applaud your valor. Yes, that's valor, since we all squack and mumble about value bet this and leaving bets on the table that, so I think your turn and river checks are indeed courageous in that they defy our traditional whims.

In the heat of the moment I think I probably bet the river but I think I'd be wrong in doing so.

What I like about this hand is IMO you used your position absolutely perfectly. On the flop, you bet, got raised, saw the cold call, and 3-bet which helps set up your turn and river play. So a scary card comes on the turn, and you slowdown and proceed with caution. The river changes nothing, but the caution you possessed on the turn still exists on the river, so, your flop 3-bet effectively got you to showdown cheaply.

Back to why I think the river check is correct though: how many hands does someone cold call that don't have you beat by the river? A king could check/cold call the flop and play the rest of the hand in that scared fashion. Flush draw that hit could be getting fancy. The 9 makes a couple of obscure straights. So, between the CO and BB both being in the hand and all the ways you could be beat, I think makes a river bet is slightly -EV.

chezlaw
06-24-2004, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Back to why I think the river check is correct though: how many hands does someone cold call that don't have you beat by the river? A king could check/cold call the flop and play the rest of the hand in that scared fashion. Flush draw that hit could be getting fancy. The 9 makes a couple of obscure straights. So, between the CO and BB both being in the hand and all the ways you could be beat, I think makes a river bet is slightly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 6, 7, 9 or pocket pair. The 9 on the river is double edged as it may have made a pair for a straight draw. A scared K is very possible but how often will the flush check twice?

I guess it depends on how chookie the chooks are.

Schneids
06-28-2004, 01:34 AM
n/m

stripsqueez
06-28-2004, 01:58 AM
thanks schneids - i was just looking for this post and couldnt find it

the BB turned over 10d10s - the cutoff had 9s7h

i think i saved a bet on the turn as it happened but i'm still not sure i like this line