PDA

View Full Version : Purposely making mistakes...then playing like EVERYONE else.

DcifrThs
06-23-2004, 10:38 PM
uber loose passive heaven of a game.

im virtually the only person raising preflop other than one or two others.

i get 7h6h in the bb and 8 people limp. sb completes i raise. all call.

flop comes Ad8c4h. i check, UTG bets 2 fold. i call.

turn 8h. i check utg bets 1 fold. i call.

river 3c. i check.

comments? ive become rusty on strategy in games like this. i feel that they would probably have come anyway and paid off a checkraise late even if i didn't raise. so i'm not "luring" anybody for the later streets...just building a nice large pot should i win with my drawing hand...

too much??

-Barron

Michael Davis
06-23-2004, 10:40 PM
If you expect them to come along anyway, I can't see a real good reason to raise with this hand.

-Michael

DcifrThs
06-23-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you expect them to come along anyway, I can't see a real good reason to raise with this hand.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

im getting 9:1 on my raise and often collect 6-9 big bets later on in the hand when i hit. but if they come anyway, why raise i guess? right? at the moment i thought id like to build a real large pot...but its pointless to do so when it'll cost too much to get the same desired effect.

another reason i think its bad is b/c if there are hands like q5s, k6s and the like out there then my hand loses some value and, by extension, the raise also loses some value.

just want to see if anybody would do it for the sole purpose of building a very large pot.

-Barron

Michael Davis
06-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I think building a large pot is all well and good, but I think you knew the answer yourself when you said they were coming anyways. If my opponents are just as likely to call checkraises in $2 pots as $1000 pots, you would prefer to play the $2 pots all day with a hand like 76, no?

-Michael

Enon
06-23-2004, 11:09 PM
I think there is something to be said for keeping more people around for even more bets on later rounds. By making the pot bigger, someone who would have seen the river for one more big bet, might cold call a raise on the turn that they wouldn't have otherwise.

I cannot see the downside of building the pot preflop with this many people in there and your ability as a solid player to get away from this hand easily.

DcifrThs
06-23-2004, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot see the downside of building the pot preflop with this many people in there

[/ QUOTE ]

it costs me an extra small bet. but if it comes A72rb and the same situation arises im caling also...but NOW if i hit, i want higher pairs to go away and give me the large pot on the turn as my hand is vulnerable and may lose collectively, like high limit stud on 5th, eliminating hands that have some outs even though individually they'd be making a mistake in calling, collectively they beat you and the pot is big...

also if you flush, the flush can be beat by t2s etc...

thus the title of the post...i KNOW i'm making a small mistake (1/2bb)...but is the gain worth it? is there a gain?

-Barron

Michael Davis
06-23-2004, 11:26 PM
In general, I just don't agree with the advice in HPFAP on sometimes raising this hand. I have never seen a game where seven people were seeing flops and most of them played well postflop. Generally, if seven people are seeing the flop, most of them suck pretty bad and are sticking around postflop with a lot of junk no matter how big the pot.

-Michael

DcifrThs
06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
this wasn't taken from HPFAP....it was a heat of the moment, "hey, wait a tic...oye think oye can ween a monsta, heah"

-Barron

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 12:06 AM
You could also win a monster if you philanthropically tossed a $1000 chip from your own stack into the pot... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DcifrThs
06-24-2004, 12:07 AM
i also knew it was a mistake as i said. but keep hounding me and maybe i'll learn...
-Barron

Michael Davis
06-24-2004, 12:11 AM
You have nothing to learn from me. It's the other way around.

-Michael

astroglide
06-24-2004, 02:48 AM
if 8 people limped i would raise that pretty much every time, just because i can. with loose opponents it's probably around breakeven EV-wise but people remember freaky raises out of the blinds very much.