PDA

View Full Version : article that clearly explains why poker is a game of skill

brick
06-23-2004, 06:03 PM
I’m looking for a short article (electronic copy) that clearly explains why poker is a game of skill that can be beat over the long run.

Any ideas?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Look at the list of players who make it to the money in the WSOP events over the last 10 years. Ask yourself "are these people who make the money nearly every year just the luckiest SOBs in Vegas, or is there something else to it?"

Warik
06-23-2004, 06:37 PM
You're not asking us to do your homework for you, are you? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MelK
06-23-2004, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I’m looking for a short article (electronic copy) that clearly explains why poker is a game of skill that can be beat over the long run.

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't think an article like that will convince your gf or mom that poker is not a degenerate activity, do you?

Noo Yawk
06-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Read Theory of Poker. It pretty much sums it up.

Of course, It's my personal belief that if you don't have a lucky urinal, well, your pretty well screwed. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

brick
06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
I agree but I need a short electonic version to give to my friend.

brick
06-23-2004, 07:14 PM
they can't be convinced?

brick
06-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't know if he has seen rounders or not. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ulysses
06-23-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at the list of players who make it to the money in the WSOP events over the last 10 years. Ask yourself "are these people who make the money nearly every year just the luckiest SOBs in Vegas, or is there something else to it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo will provide the correct question here:

"Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?"

ZeeJustin
06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget, this question failed for Mike McD.

luckycharms
06-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Mike was such an idiot! He had such a future.... what happens if he doesn't place in the money in that years WSOP? He's a bum! Mike = straight up gambloholic (the bad kind)

luckycharms
06-23-2004, 09:09 PM
next to the comp? nice

luckycharms
06-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Ok, it can be solved in a simple few sentences:

If you play poker for 10,000 hands (not that unreasonable at all, about 200 hours of live play), every player at the table will get approx. 45 pocket rockets... also about 60 or so specific non-pair hands (eg. AK). Every player at the table will come up with the exact same (or nearly the exact same) situation as the player sitting next to them. In fact, this will happen again, and again, and again. It'll happen so often that luck will become a null factor since everyone will essentially have the same exact same situation within those 200 hours of play. Since the cards will all be the same, the only difference between one player and the next is their education , experience , and mentality at the time of play.

.... unless someone's cheating