PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 9s

Raydain
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Alright, I've been arguing with my brother on whether or not he made the correct decision on his last Tournament on Truepoker.

It's a 250 person tournament with about 50 people left. He's got 2000 chips (5000 average), blinds are set at 250/500 (about to move up). He gets 99 in 3rd position. UTG+1 calls. Was recently moved to a different table so we don't really know the caller's playing style.

What's the best play here?

Push all in: hoping to win it or go heads-up
Call: and be ready to push in on the flop or get away from it if needed
Fold: Wait for a better opportunity

MLG
06-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Move in its not even close. The only way you should fold is if its right on the bubble and there are some shorter stacks. Even then I'm not so sure. Your probably gonna get called but I just don't think you have much choice with only 4 times the BB and the blinds fast approaching.

SossMan
06-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Given those stack sizes, I'm pushing here every time. You have enough to drive out most overcard hands, so that makes 99 much stronger. I'm happy to move in here w/ 99.

MLG
06-23-2004, 03:44 PM
You really think he has enough chips to push out the limper, if the limper has a hand like A-Q? I'm not so sure.

Jason Strasser
06-23-2004, 04:05 PM
This is a perfect spot to min raise, then bet the minimum on the flop. Then fold to an all in so you can pay the blinds.

Sorry, long day at work. Push the chips in. Your friend lost, so what, stop being results oriented.

SossMan
06-23-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really think he has enough chips to push out the limper, if the limper has a hand like A-Q? I'm not so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he doesn't give info on limpers stack size, but it depends. If T2000 is a healthy portion of his stack (50%+?) he would be hardpressed to call w/ KQ,KJs,TJ,QJ...all likely limping hands from UTG. Depending on how tight, and how big his stack is, even AQo.
Still, it doesn't change the fact that he should push w/ the 9s. I would prefer to not be called, but I wouldn't be surprised to get called by a big stack or small stack with one of the aforementioned hands or even smaller pairs.

fnurt
06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not expect AQ to fold here, but there are a lot of overcard hands that aren't as strong as AQ. In fact, AQ would often come in for a raise at this stage.

With only 4xBB in your stack, it can't be wrong to push here.

OldLearner
06-24-2004, 10:08 PM
The only hands you REALLY don't want to see call are TT - AA.

Yes, AK, AQ ... could be calling. You still have an edge over those hands and you definitely have to push your edge at this stage here with your short stack.