PDA

View Full Version : Check This Resume

John Cole
06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Adobe Acrobat Reader Required

Resume (http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/resume.pdf)

Utah
06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Interesting resume but its not particularly well written. Is this from someone we should know?

Zeno
06-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Bullet driven resumes are usually a sign of poor writing skills, and, seemingly paradoxical, poor organizational skills as well.

In my opinion, this person cannot transmit complex thoughts in writing and, by extension, may not be able to understand them either, whether written or spoken. This would, to me, make him (or her) unfit or poorly qualified for the duties that they have been performing for so many years.

-Zeno

John Cole
06-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Given the organization he worked for, no, I guess, we shouldn't know him.

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bullet driven resumes are usually a sign of poor writing skills, and, seemingly paradoxical, poor organizational skills as well.

In my opinion, this person cannot transmit complex thoughts in writing and, by extension, may not be able to understand them either, whether written or spoken. This would, to me, make him (or her) unfit or poorly qualified for the duties that they have been performing for so many years.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Get over yourself pal.

Utah
06-23-2004, 04:47 PM
What is wrong with bullet resumes? If you have to review a lot of resumes then you like them a bit better,

I use both paragraph and bullets in my resume. I use paragraphs to describe the job and I use bullets for the accomplishments.

Bump-en-Stein
06-23-2004, 05:14 PM
I say he is OVER QUALIFIED to be a mall security guard.

Zeno
06-23-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get over yourself pal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried but can't do it. Clark slammed me in the same manner long ago. I gave my opinion about the resume and the person behind the resume which was, I assume, what John Cole was asking for.

I always come across like this, I suppose- But forget about. This thead is not about me.

-Zeno

Zeno
06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I review many resumes for contract proposals so I agree that bullets are useful and help outline things quickly and clearly, if used properly.

I thought that for someone with an extensive amount of experience (more than 30 years?), that must work with and produce written reports/documents etc., and with a working knowledge of three other languages, that he/she would be able to construct a smoother and more fluent resume and not have to resort to extensive use of bullets.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this and was being too critical - Obviously some think so. I may also be somewhat prejudice, as I prefer resumes in the paragraph form or outline. I dislike bullet presentations.

I have simply stated my opinion.

-Zeno

John Cole
06-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Zeno,

I was just surprised about some of the detail in the resume. I've always wondered what ex-CIA could write about in a resume anyway.

For example, would one write "Instrumental in the overthrow of the democratically elected government in G___________"? You know, the sort of thing Tolstoy or Chekov might have done to lend an air of realism. Or would one simply name the governments one has helped to dismantle?

BTW, misanthropes are supposed to come across a certain way.

John

Boris
06-23-2004, 07:36 PM
- do you have a job?

Utah
06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I agree with you on the resume. His experience is portrayed very poorly. His use of bullets is also inconsistent.

I am just stating that I likes bullets when used correctly and with good supporting detail. I tried writing my paragraph in long hand (per the instructions in "Rights of Passage over 100k") and it was too long and too hard to read.

Utah
06-23-2004, 09:40 PM
I have my own little startup company, but prior to that I was the COO for a midsized distribution company.

Why do you ask?

Boris
06-24-2004, 02:03 AM
it was my lame attempt at a joke.

I agree that bullet points are a good way to get your point across quickly, especially in resumes and other business related communication. The fact of the matter is that most people in business will not take the time to read full length paragraphs unless the writer is someone important.

astroglide
06-24-2004, 02:41 AM
how was it you came across this?

John Cole
06-24-2004, 12:27 PM
I found it somewhere on this site:

Web Page (http://www.cybergeography.org/maps/maps27.html)