PDA

View Full Version : Tennis

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Both Men's and Women's tennis is thick in talent right now.

On the men's side:
Federer
Roddick
Agassi
Hewitt
Safin
Moya
Coria
Ferrero
Kuerten
Srichapan
Phillipousis
Henman
(There are a lot of clay courters I'm not naming here cause I can't remember them.)

The women's side has gotten to the point where you are not certain who the finalists will be anymore. Very thick in talent as well:
Venus
Serena
Henin (Not sure if she's a woman, but she plays on this side)
Clijsters
Davenport
Capriati
Myskina
Kournikova!

Anyway, my point is that although you hear that men's tennis doesn't have the personalities to carry the game, I don't buy into it. If you want to watch people play a beautiful sport that they have dedicated there life to, watch a tennis match. You may not see players acting like McEnroe or Connors, you might however see some superbly conditioned athletes giving it everything they have. I however disagree that men's tennis doesn't have any personalities. Andy Roddick gives the best post match interview I have ever seen an athlete give. Lleyton Hewitt plays with the intensity of an NFL linebacker.

On the men's side you get to see some phenomenal but often short points. On the women's side you get to see some nice baselining by cute athletic women in short skirts.

Patrick McEnroe and Cliff Drysdale are two of the best commentators in sports. They do a great job of letting you know what's going on, but they don't think THEY are the reason you're watching. Compare that to some of the crap you watch in football and golf.

Do you remember when Wimbledon used to be HUGE?!?! I remember as a kid watching Boris Becker win Wimbledon and thinking it was the biggest thing ever to happen. I think it has lost a little of that.. But I still encourage you to watch as much coverage as you can. Roger Federer is a special athlete. You owe it to yourself to watch him play.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2004, 03:13 PM
dude, Tennis sucks!!!
No one watches mens tennis anymore because they all serve 120+ MPH aces. The only reason people watch womens tennis is to watch somewhat attractive ladies bounce around in short skirts.

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, Tennis sucks!!!
No one watches mens tennis anymore because they all serve 120+ MPH aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting to see them go back to wood racquets.

[ QUOTE ]

The only reason people watch womens tennis is to watch somewhat attractive ladies bounce around in short skirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhmmm... Serena.

Martin Aigner
06-23-2004, 03:17 PM
BeerMoney,

just curious: What´s the reason to put Anna Kurnikova on that list?

Best regards

Martin Aigner

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uhmmm... Serena.

[/ QUOTE ]
She's good but no one cares though. The only way female pro sports will ever get popular is if hot women are playing in them, and they are performing very well.

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
uhmmm... Serena.

[/ QUOTE ]
She's good but no one cares though. The only way female pro sports will ever get popular is if hot women are playing in them, and they are performing very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think if they remain feminine, but play at a respectable level, people will watch. I like women's tennis cause its a different game than the men's. Just like I enjoy watching college football and hockey. They aren't playing at the same level, but its a different game, and I enjoy it. Some women's sports are gaining popularity. I can't believe it, but I actually watched a women's golf tournament recently and enjoyed it. I think because everyone knows just how good they are since Annika and Wie went and played competitively in men's events. I think the important thing is that they remain feminine. If they start to look like men, then you don't feel like you're watching women play anymore.

With that said, the WNBA is gross, and I will never support it.

elwoodblues
06-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I prefer to watch women's tennis over men's. Recently, men's has been too dominated by serving. Unfortunately, the Williams sisters are moving women's tennis in the same direction

TheRake
06-23-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, Tennis sucks!!!
No one watches mens tennis anymore because they all serve 120+ MPH aces. The only reason people watch womens tennis is to watch somewhat attractive ladies bounce around in short skirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy watching the majors (really just Wimbledon and the US Open). I admit though I like watching the women more than the men. There are more rallies and I like watching them bounce around in thier short skirts /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake

bingledork
06-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Women tennis players have great legs. Probably the best of any sport, except maybe figure skating.

daryn
06-23-2004, 08:26 PM
great legs does not necessarily equal muscular legs