PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying KK heads up

BigJohn043
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
First time poster. How bad was my slow play here?

Hero (4688)
SB (3312)

Hero: [ Kd, Ks ]

BB calls (300)
BigJohn043 checks.

Flop: [ 5d, Ts, Jd ]
Hero checks.
BB bets (600)
Hero raises (1200) to 1200
BB calls (600)

Turn: [ 9h ]

Hero bets (2888)all-in
BB calls (1512)

** Dealing River ** : [ 4d ]

Result below:

BB turns over two pair 9s & 5s

Jason Strasser
06-23-2004, 02:04 PM
The blinds are 300/600 and there are 8000 in chips in play. Thus more than 10% of the chips start in the middle at every given hand. In this spot, I'd be pushing so many different hands, that I would treat KK just like I'd play K3, which would be to push. The deception is nice, and your opponent probably would've called you all the way with just the 9, however I don't play like that. Heads up is push push push push push push. If I min raised, or did something like you did, my opponent would go hide under his desk and likely give me no action.

2planka
06-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey BigJohn.

I think you waited too long to push him. I like the check on the flop, but I would have made a bigger check-raise once he comes out betting, maybe even put him in right here. He's just put 20% of his stack in, so he can still get away from the hand if you overbet. I'm weak tight, though, so what do I know.

Colby818
06-23-2004, 02:56 PM
I have to agree with the second poster. I'm looking to steal some extra money above the blind with a hand like this, and willing to take the risk of someone hitting their flop heads up, since just hitting a pair won't do it unless he's got an A and catches one. I like the concept of your check raise, but I'm going to make him make a decision for his stack on the raise though. I'd probably come back 1800. That lets him get out of it(which he just might do in this case) and allows me a chance to consider getting out of this hand if he raised back(which would then depend on what my read of him was - would he reraise TPTK? or would he call that? does this put him on trips or two pair?)

This again comes down to thought process... what were you wanting when you check raised him to 1200? He's in for 900 to that point, I can't imagine he's not going another 600. I'd have to figure he's calling if he's got a J, T, Q9, QK, 89, Axd. The J and the T, you are probably happy to bring along. All of the straight draws are open ended. And the Axd has a ton of outs. I venture most anyone with any of those hands would make that same 600 bet, hoping to take it down, and trying to keep you from pushing him out of the pot long enough for them to catch on you.

The other side of that, if they wanted to play you all in, they are going to either push, or make a large raise... or they already flopped trips and it is you who are in trouble.

I say really hit'em with the check raise there and watch how long it takes him to respond. I can usually see them sweating and cursing when I do that.

2planka
06-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Just had another thought about this. You don't specify the buy in for this tourney, but I've found at the 15+1 level, often the standard play is the best play. Being creative or overly tricky seems to get me into more trouble than my bankroll can tolerate. Listen to Strassa.

schwza
06-23-2004, 04:01 PM
yeah, i'd jack it up pre-flop... i think a pot-sized raise (1200) would be good. it's essentially a push but hopefully a little more likely to get called.

welcome to the forum.

BigJohn043
06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
I probably didn't think deeply enough about the size of the reraise. Frankly, I was so happy that my check raise worked that I probably didn't stop to think.

I slow played the flop because he had been folding to preflop raises and I wanted to see if I could get him to over play his hand and win a big one.

I probably should have pushed or made him think hard. As he called I figured that I was still way ahead and that he was making a crying call. I didn't think twice about pushing on the turn, but I was pretty surprised he called...

I am clearly still learning. Thanks for everyone's help!

Beavis68
06-23-2004, 04:52 PM
This is about the ONLY situation where I like to slow play. The only scary things was the flop JT and the 9 on the turn, but usually make these plays going into them knowing there is a chance I will blow it and willing to risk. The thing I really dont like about the play is re-raise on the flop, I would have let him bet, bet, bet, the re-raise is likely to slow him down and keep him from bluffing. To me, if you are going to re-raise, just go all-in right then.