PDA

View Full Version : ATo in the SB, facing two short-stacked all-ins...

ElSapo
06-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Six players left from a single table SNG on Party. Blinds are 100/200 and I have about T1000, which puts me in 4th.

One fold, and the short-stack raises all-in to T375. Another player calls all-in for T275. Another fold, it’s on my with ATo in the SB. BB has about T1,800.

It’s 275 to call, with a little more than 1K in the middle now.

schwza
06-23-2004, 01:19 PM
i'd fold, but only cause of the BB. if he calls, you have to vomit.

ElSapo
06-23-2004, 01:24 PM
That was my instinct also. From the BB this seems like an easy call. From the SB, no good, b/c I'm not moving in over him.

I folded. Seemed right.

Colby818
06-23-2004, 01:45 PM
I'd have to fold this. You are most likely either facing two guys with pocket pairs or one other A. If there is another A, you might be looking at a bigger A, not leaving you a ton of outs. A-T is not a hand I like to play heads up against two opponents when I've got enough of a stack to play with. If you lose, you are going to be shortstacked to the point where your options are restricted and that's only if the BB isn't the best hand of all of them.

The chances of busting 40% of your stack or even all of your stack seem to outweigh the chance of taking down a pot that could win you this tourney. TPFAP suggests something to the extent of avoiding marginal plays in search of better ones. I think that's the play here.

Jason Strasser
06-23-2004, 02:13 PM
This decision is completely based on reads. More often than not, I'd choose to fold to get out of the way. However, if you are confident you are ahead of the SB, and the caller who called the all in is shady, I would consier pushing. However, these are specific circumstances, and I think folding can really never be wrong in this spot.

I do however, much prefer pushing over calling.

Bobby Digital
06-24-2004, 01:52 AM
I think it depends on whether or not you can steal the blinds on the the next couple hands. If not then I push it in. Even if you lose you are in nearly the same position (300 less), and you need to catch a hand.

You also get to play a large pot without the possibility of busting out, assuming the big blind doesn't wake up with a big hand. You are getting good odds, and you can knock out two players.

TEBPilot
06-24-2004, 05:38 PM
This is an easy fold. ATo is not a great hand. Certainly not with 2 people already all in. You are an underdog to any pocket pair and your hand is not very good against a variety of other hands. Wait for another opportunity. You want to be making the push, not calling them.