PDA

View Full Version : 77 with a tell to tell about

Little Fishy
06-23-2004, 12:22 PM
the game started out 9 players, only four of us are left. Hero was big high stack with about 110BB... after one big hand with busted A high flush Hero has 80BB... hero is BB with 77, UTG has about 75BB and raises 3BB, button folds, SB folds Hero calls.

2 players (8.5BB) flop: Q 5 2 rainbow
Hero checks, UTG bets 4BB, hero calls.

2 players (16.5 BB) turn: J
Hero checks, UTG Bets 10BB, Hero raises all in.

My thinking, UTG is a solid player. if he was sure he had the favorite (a set, or top pair good kick) he would try to blead me for more $. his PF raise screams PP, therefore he has, 66, 88, 99, or TT. I can only beat one of these right? but he would have to be ballsy as all hell to call.

UTG flips 99 and tries to catch a tell. He starts counting out his chips. he folds but says, "I know I have you beat. You have a low PP, I'm just not willing to throw it all in on this one though."

How did he know what I had? I talked to him later. he knew he had me beat because I 'couldn't keep my eyes off his chips' when he was counting them. he figured, if I had confidence in my hand I wouldn't have glanced at his chips even once or twice because I wouldn't be worried about them, rather I'd look at my apponent because my greatest concern would be what he was thinking, not where his chips were going.
I've never looked for this tell before, do you think it's legit against most players?