PDA

View Full Version : Another flop from the SB I got trapped into

06-23-2004, 01:19 AM
As I said in a previous post, I hate catching pieces of flops from the blinds and getting trapped in the hand. Its a part of my game I'm paying more attention.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5 BB, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+2 (5 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8h 7s (one pair, eights).
UTG+2 shows Td Ts (one pair, tens).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 5 BB. </font>
Comments: As you can see, I bet out on every street (expect the river where I got the free showdown). Whats the play in this situation? Would a c/r be better or does that just get me into trouble with someone who has an ace and is committed to a showdown? I'm really lost on this whole hand.

TRWIII
06-23-2004, 01:32 AM
My personal rule of thumb is to fold 87o unless I get at least 3 callers looking for the straight because flopping a pair with this hands out of position stinks.

That being said, I check-raise the flop and bet out the turn for the following reasons:

1) If no one bets the flop thats good because youre one step closer to a cheap show down with an awkward hand that may be best.

2) If youre reraised on the flop or raised on the the turn, you can safely fold to a probable pair of As

3) The act puts a whole lot of pressure to anything less than aces and will likely fold anything that cant beat them (which makes you happy because theyre folding the winning hand).

4) If they call the turn, you can likely check through the river and it only ended up costing you an extra 0.5BB for an excellent chance to win the pot.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII

06-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Excellent reply TRWII. Thanks.

StellarWind
06-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I would fold this preflop without hesitation against any number of opponents. I suspect this is a minority viewpoint.

With two opponents I like your flop bet. Against three opponents I just checkfold. The ace sucks because everyone plays them. I am also very distressed about my kicker. You will get called down by a better eight a lot.

If I can really win this hand I will often get a free card. With this board no one is likely to bet a hand I'm ahead of unless the button has an itchy trigger finger. For that reason clever checkraise tricks don't appeal either.

Muckahaihan
06-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Looks ok to me, it's just a bad hand that you got sucked into. I might have checked the turn, figuring if he called the flop, he's not going anywhere for a bet on the turn and knowing that there really aren't many hands I can beat at this point.

Probably depends on the type of player my opponent was.