PDA

View Full Version : Over slowplayed trips?

06-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Did I over slow-play this set of sixes? I was going for the river raise to maximize EV for this sweet flop. To me there were no scare cards or likely draws developing so I wanted to keep MP2 along for the flop and turn.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

River: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between MP2, SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qc Th (two pair, queens and tens).
Hero shows 6h 6s (three of a kind, sixes).
MP2 shows 9s 8d (straight, queen high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 13 BB. </font>

Comments: See why this is so confusing for me? The winner (MP2) made a poor call on the flop while flopping a gutshot draw. He then picked up the open-ended straight draw on the turn which leads me to believe from his poor flop decision, he definately wasn't going anywhere on the turn, even if I made it 2-BB to him.

Would you guys in this situation do anything different, or was this just a case of a poor player drawing out on me?

TRWIII
06-23-2004, 01:05 AM
While there is merit to slowplaying those sixes that long and its by no means incorrect, I think raising the turn is probably better, because now there's a two flush and two to a possible straight on the board and if someones going to draw out on me I want it to be expensive. But like I said, your method isn't wrong, you just got unlucky, but I think making draw outs long-run unprofitable (a turn call gives the other 2 proper pot odds to draw to an open-ender and a flush) is more important.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII