PDA

View Full Version : Two hands from the blinds

06-23-2004, 12:44 AM
I hate a lot of hands when I see the flop from the blinds. They seem to cost me too much money when I get to see the flop for free with a mediocre hand and I hit a piece of it.

Take a look at the following two hands. One from the small blind. One from the big.

HAND I:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4 BB

Comments: How was this play. I was 95% certain UTG didn't have a king as he bet right out. If I would have bet right out, he would have been 95% sure I also didn't have a king. Instead I went for a c/r here and it turned out successful. I most likely made him fold a hand with a three or a pocket pair. How's this play look overall?

HAND II:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (8 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh As (one pair, kings).
BB shows Ah 3h (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: BB wins 8 BB. </font>

Comments: I hated how this hand transpired. After thinking back, I think I should have c/r'ed the flop but I like to keep the image of always firing at the pot if I'm the pfr despite the flop.

Anyways, please feel free to tear these two hands apart.

JohnShaft
06-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Actually Avatar, Hand 1, after all them folds I think it's quite a fine play. His play doesn't look like a King given the way many will play it at 1/2, but you're checkraise does much more. I think you'd have to make sure not to give too much action, but it worked out perfectly for you. Nice play. The key of course is all the folds before the action gets to you.

Hand 2, yeah I really don't like that either.
The raise is good as it looks like you can get it headsup with against a hand you likely dominate.

Flop bet is fine.
Turn is a nightmare. If you are going to call a bet then just bet. At least that way you can get a fold. You'll never get a fold by calling.

Also for sure BB could have a King. If he doesn't he could have a PP, a raggy piece of the board. And if all that isn't good enough if he has ANY club he's got a lot of ways to outdraw you if you are ahead.
Add to that there's another 8 outs that will leave you splitting with any Ace.
No calling that Turn is horrible.
Calling the River? Well it's desperation by then. I guess you're hoping he was Turn bluffing his flush draw.
The Turn is the real messup.
[Checkraising the Flop would have been fine. Not that I think many buy you for a King, but that at least suggests you are willing to put your money in and they better have something.]

Hand 1 = Good
Hand 2 = Bad
Swings and Roundabouts.