PDA

View Full Version : rightly folded?

locoloco
06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
I was at a NL 25$ table at partypoker and was dealt QQ early position so i bet out 4$ preflop and had left 90 bucks. a guy in middle position cold raised it to 10$ and had a bankroll left of 15 bucks and i was studying him for being tight aggressive. i folded my hand because there were only 4 reasonable hands to raise with in cash games..jj,qq,kk,aa.

my thoughts were if he had aa or kk which was quite probable i would be a 1-5 underdog. and would probably always fold my hand after the flop to his allin.

To make a long story short is it worth it to call this raise figuring your opponent for having aa or kk just to see the flop? after the game he told me he had jj which i felt it was far less probable than having american airlines.

any suggestions?

SaintAces
06-22-2004, 11:32 PM
I was at a NL 25$ table at partypoker

umdpoker
06-22-2004, 11:40 PM
ummm... terrible fold imo. if you wanna be weak-tight about it, at least call his raise and push if the flop doesn't have a or k. fold if it does. btw, i have had seemingly tight people reraise me to $10 with tt in the blinds. plus, you left out ak as a possible re-raise hand for a sane person. bad fold.

Manimal
06-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Let's look at this objectively.

Why is he re-raising here? Is this legitimate, or his he trying to steal from you? Is he trying to get heads up with A-Q? Or is he just raising with a close to nut hand?

Now, assuming that your read is correct, here's what we see:

He has one of 4 hands. One you're in good shape against, and two you're in terrible shape against.

So, in my simple assessment, you're going to want 2:1 to call. But, I could be looking at this too simplistically. Given those odds are indeed correct, you made a bad fold, since with blinds factored in, you're getting roughly 2.5:1 to call.

As for what I'd do - re-raise him all in, no second thoughts. If he's got AA or KK, more power to him. If the flop comes ragged - and with only 6 overcards to your queens theoretically out, odds are pretty good that it will - then you're probably playing for his stack as it is. So just skip the foreplay and get to the good stuff /images/graemlins/smile.gif

schwza
06-23-2004, 10:46 AM
ditto.... push it in.

sniperd
06-23-2004, 11:27 AM
If you have a strong read on this person, I can see folding this. By a strong read, I mean you have played with this person for 10 8 hour sessions in a live game, and go drink with him sometimes. But on Party Poker $25, I am not laying this down.

You are correct about most likely being all in on the flop. If you make this call, you will almost certainly be calling all in on the flop. I would would just get my money in here pre flop and see who wins. I think just calling is probably just as bad as folding (or worse), since you won't know where you stand if an over card comes out. If his stack was much deeper, calling may be correct.

I understand your thought process on what hands he probabaly has, but I think your tricking yourself here and seeing monsters under the bed. You are most likey giving too much respect to your opponent and his ability to play correctly.

Once agsin, this is a No Limit decision that depends on the player, more then the math behind what he may have and raise with.