PDA

View Full Version : Play these kings with me

Tosh
06-22-2004, 10:27 PM
UTG is decent, 13% with 8% preflop raise.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks.

MAxx
06-22-2004, 10:31 PM
...sometimes check, sometimes bet....lean toward betting in this situation... but not feeling great about it.

Brain
06-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I bet them here, hoping UTG has a smaller pocket pair. If I get raised, I call down.

WarmonkEd
06-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Are you willing to fold if you get c/r'd? I'm leaning towards checking, and check/calling or betting the river.

TRWIII
06-22-2004, 10:42 PM
This is a situation that I tend to do what is right instead of what i want to do. The evil little devil in my head that sees monsters it yelling AJs or slowplayed rockets or slick, but your probably ahead often enough to bet the turn and call down if youre raised. When in doubt I try to put pressure on an out of position opponent to have a hand and give him opportunities to fold no matter how much it gives me the heebie jeebies /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII

Ponks
06-22-2004, 11:11 PM
I bet this here, and I also fold to a checkraise, that maybe too weak though ??

Ponks

Tosh
06-22-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm not likely to be calling down if check raised on turn and river, it doesn't seem likely he's putting a move on me.

sfer
06-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Check the turn. Call a bet on the river. Bet if checked to.

sfer
06-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Out of position you pretty much have to do this. Last to act your options are a little better.

Tosh
06-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Action is:

Turn: (4.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

He has jacks and my hand is good. If I had jacks here I think I need to be the turn more so.

sthief09
06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey Tosh. Maybe I'm generalizing too much, but I'd think someone who plays so few hands would be somewhat of a straightforward player. I'd expect him to c/r the flop with AK (as opposed to the unconventional flop check-call and turn check-raise), and possibly even cap preflop. I'd also expect him to cap with AA preflop. I think you'll see TT, JJ, QQ more than AK/AA here so I bet the turn. I'd be very surprised if you got check-raised. The only hand I'd really be worried about here is 99, and he probably would've mucked that on the flop.

Tosh
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree here about his likely hands. But I think there are 2 other considerations as to whether I bet or check.

1) Will he actually call me down with an underpair to mine.
2) If he has AJ or AQ, he will likely just call down without betting in the same way he might be playing another pair.

colgin
06-23-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn. Call a bet on the river. Bet if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is the standard line for this situation and is what I would do.

You do not have to worry too much about giving a free card here if you are already ahead (and the free card may save you if you are behind). Plus, you may induce a bluff/perceived value bet from a worse hand that would not call a bet on the turn or river. Finally, it saves you money if he has top pair or better.

Luke
06-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Tosh,

I like the way you played this one. You avoid facing a possible tough turn checkraise and get to a showdown.

You are able to extract an extra bet from hands that might have folded to a turn bet (99-QQ), considering that your opponent is tight. Against a looser player I'd bet for value here but I don't think this opponent will call enough to make it worth it for you.

Very little fear of a free card also votes for a check.

Nice job.

Luke

eh923
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Will he actually call me down with an underpair to mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
To me, it looks like a underpair (or even KK) is a distinct possibility. This makes me more inclined to bet. If he won't call down, giving him free cards to his longshot is still bad. He might also fold KK if he's that tight.

[ QUOTE ]
2) If he has AJ or AQ, he will likely just call down without betting in the same way he might be playing another pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you might be behind. I'd fold to a turn check-raise, giving the rock credit for his hand. However, I wouldn't expect this guy to lead the river if it didn't improve his hand. You will probably get a chance to check behind on the river.

LuvDemNutz
06-23-2004, 04:23 PM
If I was him I would've bet out on the flop.

If I get raised I would feel pretty comfortable that I'm behind and muck my pretty JJ.

Is this the wrong way to play it (from his perspective)?

Muckahaihan
06-23-2004, 05:54 PM
I would bet. I highly doubt the guy is checking to you with a big ace. Only hands I'd be fearful of are A-10, AJ.

If he calls again, I'm checking the river.