PDA

View Full Version : bubbletime, UTG, low stack - What's my move here?

razor
06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t4585)
BB (t2920)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t2080)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button (t3915)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Average opponents, don't seem too tricky, too passive or too agressive.

eastbay
06-22-2004, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t4585)
BB (t2920)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t2080)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button (t3915)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Average opponents, don't seem too tricky, too passive or too agressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

All-in is +EV even if you flip over your cards. Not by a lot, however.

The factors that tip the scales towards the push, IMO, are:

1) Bubble fears may fold some low PP and possibly A9, AT. Those same hands might put you to the bubble fear test by coming over the top if you raised less.

2) You're creating fear of your aggression which may earn you a blind or two later when a player wants to move in over your blind but is afraid of the "maniac."

I'm open to having my mind changed on this hand, but that's how I see it.

eastbay

hhboy77
06-23-2004, 02:33 AM
while i generally agree with eastbay, i think in this situation that raising to 600 is correct. if these were tricky and aggressive opponents, then pushing all in would be correct given that they could come over the top with a weaker hand. an average player will do it with only a better hand.

it's better to save the 1400 for a later hand if you're behind. you'll still be able to play with 1100 after the blinds.

eastbay
06-23-2004, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
while i generally agree with eastbay, i think in this situation that raising to 600 is correct. if these were tricky and aggressive opponents, then pushing all in would be correct given that they could come over the top with a weaker hand. an average player will do it with only a better hand.

it's better to save the 1400 for a later hand if you're behind. you'll still be able to play with 1100 after the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm including in "not too tricky, not too blah.." not too stupid, also. And not stupid players punish weak raisers in this phase of the game. As usual it depends. In a tight, somewhat passive game, I would agree with the raise, although I would make it to 500 in that case.

The reason a not stupid player moves in here is because there's only two reasons to raise less than all-in. One is that you've got a monster and you want a call. The other is that you want to leave yourself some chips if you get re-raised, in which case you will fold every time. The first option is probably quite a bit less likely than the second.

eastbay

razor
06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the comments...

I pushed on this hand and wanted to double-check that I wasn't getting too far out of line doing it.

Button went all-in and his pocket nines more than held up when a 9 hit the flop and the last 9 decided to show up on the river.

AA suited
06-23-2004, 11:04 AM
with a 2000 stack and big blinds=200, you had 6bb left. i would have just raised. if re-raised, i would have called/folded, depending on size of the reraise. then play it from there.

i usually only go all in preflop when i'm 3bb or less.

eastbay
06-23-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i usually only go all in preflop when i'm 3bb or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're burning money. This is, IMO, terrible advice.

eastbay