PDA

View Full Version : I play NL baaat

kyro
06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
I don't have the bankroll for NL. I don't have the skill for NL (yet I hope), but damnit all, I like NL, so we're playing it. I'd like you to comment particularly on my river bet, whether I should have raised less or what, although if my earlier calls were bad lemme know...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.01 BB (8 handed)

BB ($$0.87)
UTG ($$2.88)
UTG+1 ($$1.72)
MP1 ($$2.94)
MP2 ($$4.04)
CO ($$2.25)
Button ($$1.46)
Hero ($$1.98)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, CO raises to $0.08, Button folds, Hero calls $0.07, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0.06, MP1 calls $0.06, MP2 calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.42) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.08, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.08, CO calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.74) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.1, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10.

River: ($1.04) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.2, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.72, UTG+1 folds.

All-in here? I'm kicking myself for this. One of two things is going to happen. Either he's betting incredibly low for a boat, hoping some ninny will call, and will beat me, or I have him beat and he's folding to my check-raise all-in. Would you prefer a min-raise here?

Final Pot: $2.96

Results to follow

kyro
06-23-2004, 11:13 PM
hmm, bump? come on, there's gotta be some poker whiz who'd like nothing better than to chew me out for my play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luzion
06-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Some things I didnt like about your play.

Flop: You checked-called. At this level I wouldve folded the KQo instead of calling the bet. The only card that would help you in this situation would be the Jack. You cant seriously be hoping to get a King or Queen because those outs are forfeited. You need to hit the flop hard on penny NL as anyone could have anything and you need a hand right off the bat or at least a decent draw to stand a chance.

Turn: I wouldve folded as the only card in this situation that wouldve helped you again, is a Jack.

River: The all-in is fine as in penny NL, if someone has been betting the whole way through they feel obliged to call.

Some more advice for you is to build a bankroll so you can start the .10/.25 NL on Pstars at least. Try multitabling the penny NL and play it "Lee Jones" style or just nutpeddle. Playing tight PF and weak-tight after the flop should work fine.

Cant really hope to analyze your opponents or give advice seriously since the majority of people in penny NL dont take it seriously or dont know how to play.

Hope I helped.

schwza
06-24-2004, 01:15 AM
you should fold preflop. playing out of position in NL sucks, and KQ is dominated by AK and AQ, which are likely raising hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Some things I didnt like about your play.

Flop: You checked-called. At this level I wouldve folded the KQo instead of calling the bet. The only card that would help you in this situation would be the Jack. You cant seriously be hoping to get a King or Queen because those outs are forfeited.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? the K or Q would certainly be valuable to hit. obviously it's less good than a jack and you'd have to fold to a huge bet, but it has value.

i don't think the call on the flop is bad because the pot is decently big and you have implied odds, and there are no flush draws so you have 4 outs to the nuts.

on the turn, however, you have no outs to the nuts and should definitely fold. if you hit the J and lose all your chips to a FH, you'll feel mighty dumb.

given what happened, i'd bet out for .70 or so on the river. a smart player will check behind here with a mediocre hand but might call a bet. if you're check-raising, i think you should do it smaller, maybe up to .80 or so and hope a J or T will call.

kyro
06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
i agree that the preflop raise call was a bad decision. i'm trying to remember what possessed me to call with KQo. I think part of it was the guy who raised had raised earlier with Q8s or something weak like that so I hadn't been giving his PF raises much respect. Still, KQo isn't the best of hands to be calling raises with.

The flop and turn calls I thought were fine. The guy's putting .08 into a .40 pot and I'm getting calls behind me. I have to the best of my knowledge 4 jacks out there, and even if i don't get them but instead get a K or a Q they might help as well.

My biggest problem with my play was the all-in at the end. He was playing like he wanted us to get out, and was not very proud of his hand. I feel like I should have raised less, either the minimum or maybe up to .60