PDA

View Full Version : Four-flush on the river - to bluff or not to bluff (5/10 Pacific)

Wan2B
06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I don't know whether 5/10 qualifies as low or mid stake, but since it was on Pacific I decided to post it here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I raise from MP with AA, three callers. Flop A83 or sth, 83 clubs, no club in my hand. I bet and get two callers. Turn Qc. Bet, call, call, no raise. River 4c. At this point there is 87 bucks in the pot. I consider bluffing, hoping to get a small club to fold, but in the end I decide not to. I figure one of them is bound to have the flush, and I'm not prepared to waste even one bet, let alone call a raise.

So I checked, they both checked with me and the guy with 86c took down the pot. That feels somewhat reaffirming - anyone who calls two bets cold and calls down even while he's being overcalled is definitely capable of calling with a 6-high flush.

However, there *WERE* eight and half bets in there, and if I were in their shoes, I would only call if I were the second guy. This was exactly the hand I SHOULD be able to get someone to fold. Even though he might call some of the time, I need a fold only one in eight times. Was I too wimpy after all?

I believe in this case I did the right thing. The Ac was still unaccounted for and that would be a logical hand to call my flop and turn bets with. However, in general, these situations leave me in doubt. Against one opponent, I usually bet, and three is too much for me. But what about two? Anyone?

TRWIII
06-22-2004, 10:11 PM
You probably answered your question yourself in your first statement. This is Pacific and you see all kinds of weak calls here /images/graemlins/grin.gif. A bluff might have been profitable in a tougher higher limit table, but against two opponents who are likely weak, a bluff here just doesnt seem too profitable here.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII