PDA

View Full Version : Good preflop plan? (AKs)

Nate tha' Great
06-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Party 15/30 game. An unknown player raises in EMP. A regular, who plays a little too aggressively preflop but competetently postflop, 3-bets in LMP. It's folded to me in the BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Rather than cap, I cold call.

Does this play have any merit?

The idea was that I was going to be able to make more money if an Ace or a King flopped since my hand would be better concealed, but when the flop came A-rag-rag, and I checked and called, and LMP checked behind on a blank turn, I just felt like a moron. She did pay off on the river with her QQ at least. One problem I think is that I'm not typically cold-calling a lot, so my opponent probably gave me credit for a strong hand.

Clarkmeister
06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that's totally fine.

nykenny
06-23-2004, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rather than cap, I cold call.

Does this play have any merit?

[/ QUOTE ]

i also agree with your call here, i think it's the best play. capping is ridiculous to me.

i think flop bet is best or c/r, since what you really hope for is another A is out there and gives u alot of action or the under pocket pair KK, QQ doubt you enough to call down weakly. if you are raised u can either reraise or stop and go depending on the situation...

my $0.02

Nightwish
06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
When you call 2 bets cold in the BB, your opponents will automatically put you on either a pocket pair or Ax, where x is pretty high (maybe KQs too). Since that's the same range of hands that you'll cap with, there's no point hiding it. That's why I think you'll get more value out of your hand when you cap preflop.

chesspain
06-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Nate,

Did you forget to mention that coldcalling preflop also allows you to see how well the initial raiser likes his hand (by whether he caps or simply calls)?

Nate tha' Great
06-23-2004, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

Did you forget to mention that coldcalling preflop also allows you to see how well the initial raiser likes his hand (by whether he caps or simply calls)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, guess I did. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can be uncomfortable though with the postflop sequences after I don't raise in a spot that I normally would, so while this play might be +EV, I don't know that it's +EV for me.

ZeeJustin
06-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree with those that say call.

Mike Caro had an interesting audio file on some website saqying the merits of calling rather than raising or reraising preflop from the blinds.