PDA

View Full Version : I bet the whole way. Correct with bottom pair?

06-22-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm sitting with bottom pair, and a gutshot draw on the flop. I chose to bet out on every street. If I get raised on the flop or turn I plan to fold. Correct play?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (7 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9h 8h (one pair, nines).
MP1 shows Jd Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB. </font>

TRWIII
06-22-2004, 08:37 PM
It seems reasonably sound to me, although I'm not entirely sure about the river bet... your not in a powerful position and all you can realistically beat if he calls you is a busted straight or flush draw and Im surprised he called. Im surprised you won when he called but it's 1/2 so strange stuff can happen.

Other then the questionable river bet I like the aggression. Good playing in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII

JARID
06-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Av,

A read on MP1 would be helpful. Make note that your gutshot is to the suckers end of it. Anyone holding a K might be hanging around for the same card you are betting on the come with.

I would fold to any raise, yes. As for the rest? I don't know 1-2 very well, but I think I check the river. It would seem that any hand you beat would fold. Otherwise, I like it.

-Jarid

06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
TRW and Jarid thanks for the replies. I believe you both are very correct about the river play. The bet on the river does me no justice in the long-run because the typical player who calls that bet probably has me beat.

Jeffage
06-22-2004, 10:00 PM
I might check-call the river. Let him bluff a jack if that's his hand since he won't pay you off with it. What hands does he fold that you beat? If he called the turn with a 10, he's prob calling the river with it.

Jeff