PDA

View Full Version : I let him slip out of the noose

Acesover8s
06-22-2004, 03:23 PM
$1-$1 PL dealers choice home game. Most players are relatively solid, I tend to gamble a bit in this game, and have shown many bluffs, as well as dragged some monsters with solid hands.

Anyway, the hand.

UTG opens for $4, he is solid and aggressive, could have any two big cards or any pair here. Next player calls. I make it $14 straight with red Aces. Folded back to UTG who counts up and raises the full pot. Inbetweener folds. Its $34 to me.

I ask him to count down, he has $85 more. I have him covered and push in. He hems and haws and folds kings faceup.

[censored]! I was in position, and guaranteed to get it all in on the flop, I blew it and I knew better, especially since this game has turned into "Look how great a hand I can fold" lately.

So, my question to you guys is at what stack sizes would you reraise there and what stack sizes do you just call?

schwza
06-22-2004, 03:39 PM
I would have pushed. You're definitely not guarenteed to get it in on the flop (AK and rags flop, QQ and AK flops, etc). If you call here he has enough money to get away.

theBruiser500
06-22-2004, 03:42 PM
I would definitly just call there. If the stacks were 200 each I would still probably call. At 300 I'd reraise.

DcifrThs
06-22-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have pushed. You're definitely not guarenteed to get it in on the flop (AK and rags flop, QQ and AK flops, etc). If you call here he has enough money to get away.

[/ QUOTE ]

solid player understands that AK can't take the reraise if it occurs so he calls with it for $14. same w/ QQ. solid vs. solid player takes some maneuvering. put yourself in that situation where you raise $4 and get reraised to $14 out of position. would you open it up like that w/ AK? what about QQ?...at that point QQ is as good as JJ "and i'm not folding JJ" lol...seriously though, if you have QQ and make it $4, get reraised to $14 you'd want to see a flop, if you reraise solid may come back over and you have to fold. but if you call you can make sure no A or K flop and even though you'll still lose $$ to AA or KK its not gunna cause you to fold preflop.

so id go ahead and smooth call up to some pretty relatively big stack sizes like the $300 and above mentioned.

-Barron

schwza
06-22-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

solid player understands that AK can't take the reraise if it occurs so he calls with it for $14. same w/ QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

so then we know that this player has precisely AA or KK? that's not "solid"; that's "predictable".

DcifrThs
06-22-2004, 04:20 PM
sometimes solid does raise reraise with AK. thats an argument for calling. sometimes he does the same with QQ, which can be for both calling and raising. raising is probably better w/ qq than it is w/ AK against some folks.

i wasn't saying that he plays the same all the time i was saying that against certain people he becomes more predictable OUT of position that in it. so calling up until a large stack size comes into effect is imo correct.

-Barron